What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fasciation fascination

Wanted to share a couple oddball cristate mexi-pings.

For those unfamiliar with fasciated growth, also known as crested/cristate/cristata growth, a good place to see this pattern is with succulents, where this growth is much more common.

Scolling down through the following link will give a pretty good idea of what to expect from fasciated growth.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cris...PiiwLVuIC4Aw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=855

Fasciation isn't near as common in CPs, but I did manage to find some pics of a cape sundew and vft in cristate growth.

Here is the only link I could find of a mexi-ping in crested growth. (5th row down)

http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/pages_principales/Bizarre1.htm

This first set of pics were taken on March 20, last month.

These P. jaumavensis L90-14 are from BCP.

IMG_3067-P-jaumavensis-L90-14-BCP-March-20-2013_zps73c07076.jpg

One of these mexi-pings was always a bit odd, but i didn't pay too much attention to it at first.

IMG_3085-P-jaumavensis-L90-14-BCP-March-20-2013_zpsfbd3f0d5.jpg

A side shot

IMG_3094-P-jaumavensis-L90-14-BCP-March-20-2013_zps2600495d.jpg

And a shot from one end.

IMG_3096-P-jaumavensis-L90-14-BCP-March-20-2013_zps34403f74.jpg

These photos must have been taken just before this butterwort replicated itself, because only twelve days later it had grown to look like this.

And on April 10, I was able to successfully separate this little oddity into two plants.

It is surprising how solid the leaves are on these plants: none were dislodged during separation, and they can take substantial pressure between a thumb and forefinger without being bent out of shape or losing leaves - this plant feels like hard moulded plastic.

Okay, so much for that one...now for the next one.

dvg

I have a lauanea that did this.. it is now a clump of them.

Wow..like watching cells divide

It's an alien!! And its reproducing. Keep your eye on that thing and be careful! It might have lasers.

I had a P. moranensis do something somewhat similar after flowering. It eventually reverted back to its normal form though after dividing.

Drosera rotundifolia will do this quite often particularly when the plants are 2+ years old.
IMGP3675.jpg

I've had Drosera falconeri do this.
07040002.jpg

Almost all my Mexican Pinguicula have done this one time or another.

At about the same time that the P. jaumavensis was doing its thing above, my P. spec. Minas des Asbestos started putting out extra growth. (following pics from March 25)

At first glance, it looked like four growth points,

but a closer look revealed something else at play here.

This plant was fed some bloodworms and looked like this on April 1.

And this pic from April 8.

By April 12, a pattern was definitely emerging.

An interesting leaf shape started to emerge on April 14, looking to me like a double leaf.

Today, April 15th, it became more apparent what this leaf was to become.

From above, this new dual pointed leaf could be the start of a demarcation line, maybe signalling that this plant also wants to duplicate itself.

dvg

Dang!! Better keep an eye on that first ping. . . it looks like it's under-going meiosis! :O

Very nice looking plants / photos!

love this thread. the up close pics of the pings remind me of anemones!

I have a lauanea that did this.. it is now a clump of them.

Did the plants keep the crested growth? Any :pics:

I've had Drosera falconeri do this.
07040002.jpg

Almost all my Mexican Pinguicula have done this one time or another.

Nice shot of cristate growth on the D. falconeri NaN.

Did your mexi-pings all resort back to typical growth or were some able to divide and still maintain the cristate growth?

dvg

The cristate jauvemensis reminds me of one of those parade chinese dragons being slowly undelated by the people controlling it's joints.

I love the pics you took! I've reread this thread twice now! I hope you post more pics!

Anyone have pics of a cristate P. Laueana or P. Pirouette? I want to see! XD

The cristate jauvemensis reminds me of one of those parade chinese dragons being slowly undelated by the people controlling it's joints.

I love the pics you took! I've reread this thread twice now! I hope you post more pics!

Anyone have pics of a cristate P. Laueana or P. Pirouette? I want to see! XD

Thanks Firemousey.

Here is a pic I took yesterday, with double-wide leaves now being made.

There will be a definite pattern made with these double-wides, with them growing down the axis and also back in a diagonal line, to begin with.

Then, who knows, maybe crops circles. ;)

dvg

Last edited:
Haha! You can blame it on little green men!

That is so cool. Too bad flytraps aren't as exciting when THEY divide. :down:

This is so much like meiosis it's creepy. If I found cells dividing on a tiny scale interesting, a whole PLANT dividing in two is incredible.

That is so cool. Too bad flytraps aren't as exciting when THEY divide. :down:

This is so much like meiosis it's creepy. If I found cells dividing on a tiny scale interesting, a whole PLANT dividing in two is incredible.

Thanks Plant Planter. I`m not sure what to call this type of division - i`ve heard it likened to meiosis and even binary fission, but i`m still not sure what the proper terminology would be.

Nevertheless, it is exciting to see happen.

dvg

:0o:that ping looks so cool dvg

Thanks Corky! :)

Don't forget alien abduction! Haha!

Have you had any recent episodes of missing time?

And no, that night with the tequila doesn't count. ;)

dvg

Back