What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting mexican pings

I have some P. gigantea growing indoors by my windowsill that I'd like to repot. Two of them are growing fine and have already overgrown their 3.5" pots. The third one seems to be struggling with almost no root structure. I'm guessing it's because of my media mix which consists mostly of perlite and peat moss in a 60:40 ratio. I know peat retains moisture so I tend to water my pings only after the water in the trays they are sitting in has evaporated and the substrate feels dry. The pots usually sit in 1cm of water after watering. I was thinking about changing my substrate mix but first I have some questions about repotting and substrates I could use:

1. Can I repot mexican pings at any time of the year? Or do I have to wait until they are dormant in the winter to do so?
  2. I have the following materials available to use:

• Peat moss
  • Perlite
  • Crushed coral (aragonite)
  • Dolomite
  • Fluorite (porous, iron-rich fracted clay)
  • Blasting sand (coal slag)
  • Coir
  • I can get fertilizer-free vermiculite from the local hydroponics store if needed

Anyways, I've been reading the sticky and pinguicula.org on proper soil ratios. What would be the best materials to use with what I have? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I have used mixes from 50/50 peat/perlite with P. gigantea to complete mineral mixes. Both worked equally well, just require slightly different watering needs. I don't like using peat too much anymore in any of my mixes but still use it in small amounts occasionally (10-20%). Ive never used coral, dolomite or flurite, so can't comment on those. Anything that allows the media to stay moist, but still airy will work well.

Repotting gigantea (mexi-pings in general) is fine anytime of the year. I usually repot in spring.

Perlite and vermiculite are great. If you can get some Sphagnum moss, preferably long-fiber, that would be even better. Just mix them up, maybe with a bit of peat, and then it should work.

Thanks for the replies. I've read that a lot of people use a mineral mix with their pings and water more often since the media doesn't retain as much water. I think I'll go that route and pickup some vermiculite and use some of the flourite and dolomite.

Back