What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopefully I get flowers off this one next season: P. caerulea from seed

With a hand to show size, my P. gigantea. I know they can get a lot bigger, but it's by far my biggest ping.

And 'Aphrodite' has begun flowering again

Very nice! Love a good ping shot, especially with flowers.

No flowers this round, but a couple plant shots
P. gigantea size shot again
15147565838_1ee04f3e34.jpg

And my P. rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica "bush," which I still cannot yet divide
15147383829_6f11cb64df.jpg

P. 'Aphrodite' is coloring up again.
P. 'Aphrodite' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

The P. rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica is also preparing to flower once more, pics to come when they open

Ugh I must buy more plants. ... too many I want. ... very nice.

hcarlton, you can probably push the P. gigantea bigger with a larger pot. It seems to produce larger leaves in larger pots. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to like too much overhang. Oh, and feed it, a lot. It likes to eat, and will grow much larger. Last I checked a week-or-so ago, mine is pushing 10" across.

I am quite aware it can get bigger in larger pots, however space is limited in my greenhouse. Also, it does shrink rather dramatically at this time of year....

Just about doubled the number of Pinguicula I grow thanks to a generous grower. One of them is a plant I had a few years ago and lost due to unknown reasons
P. 'Pirouette' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Not sure if this one will flower or not
P. emarginata x jaumavensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P. sp. Yucca Do 1713 by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Multiple flowers coming out of this one too. And when the first opened, it became my favorite
P. moranensis "Huahuapan" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P. ehlersiae albiflora by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P .rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P. rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P. 'Aphrodite' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P. moranensis x ehlersiae by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P. moranensis ehlersiae by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Also crossed this new one with the new moranensis, and things already look promising for making a new version of this common hybrid
P. ehlersiae by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
P. ehlersiae by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
These guys were struggling for a while, but are starting to come back around
P caerulea by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
This one is already settled too, and growing. Can't wait for the flowers...
P. primuliflora 'Rose' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And lastly this one, who had a bunch of sprouting gemmae with it
P.macroceras nortensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Well, much like my P. primuliflora "white flower" and my grandiflora, the primul 'Rose' is suffering from some sort of mysterious wilt. I am scattering the budded leaves elsewhere to see if I can just keep it going (that's how I kept "white flower" around along with my normal form), but any ideas what causes sudden wilting or the roots to rot? Both seem to be separate issues.....

In other news, a couple pics:
Leaf pullings were successful on this guy, so I now have multiples! Yay!
P. moranensis 'Huahuapan' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

So, I am suspicious of my 'Pirouette' and the moranensis ehlersiae plants I have; both have near identical growth patterns and flowers. I would like to think the person I got the 'Pirouette' from knows his stuff, having grown lots of pings, but does this mean then that I've had that cultivar for years now?

Meanwhile, some pics:
P. emarginata x jaumavensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
I find these adorable...
P. sp. Yucca do 1713 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Mutant flower
P. ehlersiae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Also, I have harvested what should be the following seeds: pure P. ehlersiae, ehlersiae x moranensis 'Huahuapan', and moranensis 'Huahuapan' x (rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica). Now I just need the space to sow them....

Those p. sp yucca are awesome little plants, they look like little roses.

Last edited:
That's a nice flower. I love the mutant one too. If you pollinate that mutant flower will it result in offspring that have six petals instead? I'd like to cross my cyclosecta and koehres together to make some nice dark blue/violet flowers. (the link images are not my flowers, just examples of the flowers mine are supposed to make).

Last edited:
One mutant flower is the result of funky issues with production of the corolla. It won't affect the seeds produced, and if it did, this is a mutant with fewer petals so it wouldn't increase the normal number. Also, you'll find that those pics are a bit off concerning real color. Both plants from what I've seen tend to sit well within the standard violet range.

This plant has no interest in halting flowering
P. moranensis 'Huahuapan' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
For some reason, the typical is my only primrose doing well
P. primuliflora typical by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Anyone have ideas on how to bring back the "white flower" and 'Rose'? I repot, I remove dead leaves, I dust with sulfur and spray with neem, and the old leaves rot and take the roots with them, followed by wilting plants....

A moranensis bouquet
P. 'Aphrodite' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
A new flower for me, and this is by far the deepest purple ping flower I've yet seen. I have attempted a cross with the moranensis, hopefully for once my efforts will turn out...
P. sp. Yucca do 1717 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also, the typical primul is budding again..
P. primuliflora "typical" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And the "white flower is returning, albeit not in the pot it was supposed to reside in, go figure...
P. primuliflora "white flower" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

The 'Rose' is of a similar story: while I have managed to get one growing in the correct pot again, the current healthiest plants share a pot with the N. burb x rob

Back