What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all,
I finally got another of my Mexican Pinguicula to flower (the first being the rather common 'Aphrodite', of which I don't have a pic, unfortunately), so I decided to share. I received this plant as P. moranensis x ehlersiae (possibly 'Weser', but not likely), so I want to know if you agree. The camera I use could not capture the true colors of this thing, by the way, as it is a very vibrant, bright violet.

Cheers!
~hcarlton

Pretty :) Congratulations. I seem to have real trouble getting my Mexican pings to flower...

Nice flower man !

I have to try crossing ehlersiae and moranensis.

Im stunned right now, my DORMANT p.rectifolia push me 3 flowers at the same time. I dont know if this is normal or im doing someting wrong.

Anyway, once again, good job with this plant :)

From what I've heard, different species flower at different times. My 'Aphrodite' flowers in the middle of summer, while we're hitting winter here and this one is up. Some do flower only during dormancy.
And thanks on the compliments! It's sending up a second, and there will be a third soon...

Just noticed this:

we have almost the same stats lol

Me:

You:

:p

Pretty flower!

If those are bloodworms, they are likely the reason why your plant flowered. My Mexican hybrids flower right after being fed. And after flowering, the single large plant divides itself too....which makes me want to feed them all the time. LOL

I like YOUR bloodworms, better, Cindy!

I feed all my pings bloodworms and diluted Maxsea fertilizer every couple of weeks. Of course, most aren't big enough to flower yet, but they're getting there.

Decided to add a couple more pics, since the plant sent up the next flower: and it's a mutant!
First, new pic of the normal one:

And now the mutant:

Not the same plant, but didn't want to make a new thread for one pic: my P. rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica is growing up nicely

Another flowering species, P. lusitanica

Couple more shots:
This pic gives a good idea of just how small the P. lusitanica flowers are

And my P. gigantea has begun flowering. I have attempted a cross with the P. moranensis x ehlersiae, but if that fall through, the rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica will flower soon

Another shot just because: P. lusitanica are all flowering now

The P. rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica finally opened its flower! Color as shown here is actually about 3 shades darker in real life, with a notable metallic quality. For a good example of the real color, a different clone of the same cross is pictured in the new 'Savage Garden'.

I plan on trying to cross this guy with the new P. gigantea flower coming up. I think the cross P. gigantea x (moranensis x ehlersiae) and the reverse has already worked, as the pods are swelling a lot, so could have a new hybrid out soon.

Beautiful pics, I really like the mutant! Cant wait to see what the cross comes out like, hope all goes well for you.

Unfortunately, the pod on the moranensis x ehlersiae started browning today, and I opened it..... nothing. there's still hope for the reverse cross though, as it's still growing the pod strong... problem is, that one looks oddly hollow too.

The P. gigantea opened its new flower, and I have crossed it with the rotund x hemi. Here's the happy couple:

Can't believe I never put up this shot: P. rotundiflora x hemiepiphytica and moranensis x ehlersiae. I tried crossing the two, but the flowers never reacted, so I'm thinking no dice.

The rotund x hemi is still flowering

Back