What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well the complex hybrid crosses look to all be failures, but this guy is blooming and I did cross it with emarginata! And so far, every other primary cross with emarginata has worked spectacularly for me, so here's hoping...
P. gigantea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

That’s a really beautiful emarginata. Is it a named one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not getting pollen on my emarginata for some reason. I agree that pretty much every hybrid with emarginata seems to turn out nicely. Waiting for a Fake ‘Weser’ x emarginata to bloom now. (I like the color of the fake one I have better than the real one, even if the white line isn’t quite as distinct.)

That’s a really beautiful emarginata. Is it a named one?

Just got it as emarginata. Pollen is bright orange.

I think for once I managed to repot this one without massive loss to rot...still need to figure up a proper location for it and the other warm-temperates to trigger a good winter season for flowers though
P. primuliflora "typical" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Just got it as emarginata. Pollen is bright orange.

Cool! I bought some “Mexican Ping mixed species” from BCP last year and one looks to be an emarginata. I’m thinking it should flower soon. Hoping it’s not a boring flower.
6eaf29d5284d8aadc88c905980229d52.jpg

P. grandiflora by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Lighter in age
P. macroceras is also looking better than it has in past seasons
P. macroceras nortensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Primrose also back in bloom. Just for giggles I crossed it with grandiflora; probably won't result in anything but what the heck..
P. primuliflora by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Bonjour

nice ping :adoration:

for P.grandiflora put P.grandiflora subsp grandiflora (form type) because 3 or 4 sub species-variety-form exist

see here actually in flower in left P.macroceras in right P.corsica f pallidula

maccor.jpg

jeff

Last edited:
Bonjour

nice ping :adoration:

for P.grandiflora put P.grandiflora subsp grandiflora (form type) because 3 or 4 sub species-variety-form exist

see here actually in flower in left P.macroceras in right P.corsica f pallidula

View attachment 4590

jeff

I am fully aware of the subspecies; among my hobbies is compiling files for carnivorous plant species and forms, and the entirety of the genus Pinguicula (save the most recent additions) is already among them. As I do not own the other forms of this species and they are exceedingly uncommon in the US as a whole, I have not had much need for designating further than as is currently labeled, especially as most understand as needed what it is. If not specified another form, it's nearly always the type form, which is fairly standard for most species.

Bonjour

see here all the temperate ping species up to date ( in french desolate)

http://fern72.free.fr/siteweb/giemor.html
if you click on a species you have its taxonomy, its habitat, its morphology, photos in / ex situ.

If not specified another form, it's nearly always the type form, which is fairly standard for most species.

I do not agree with that, when one speaks of grandiflora only ,one speaks indifferently of the species -sousespeces-varieties or forms not necessarily of the standard form and then the rule of the autonym applies when one has infra rank, here grandiflora subsp grandiflora.

jeff

Last edited:
I have records already for the various species. Also, you don't have to agree, but I'm not changing my stance. It's pretty common usage that if a subspecies or variety name isn't used, then the type form is what is being referred to, and unless I'm making a point that is what I will continue to do. Until I gain another form, my plant will be referred to as P. grandiflora, sensu type form.

Bonjour

you do what you want, but it's as if you remove all the subspecies, variety and form of sarracenia.

grandiflora subsp grandiflora

grandiflora1.jpg

grandiflora subsp rosea

31.JPG

grandiflora subsp grandiflora f pallida

pallida1.jpg

grandiflora subsp grandiflora f chionopetra

chiono4.JPG

they are all grandiflora and yet all different :beer:

No, it is not the same, I am not stripping it of its identity, only not having need of expanding specificity at the moment; once again I repeat: it is not uncommon to refer to the type form of a species as simply that species in general, unless denoting between infraspecific taxa, which I have no need of doing here currently. Additionally, every single subspecies/variety of grandiflora is visibly identifiable at a glance when in bloom so one look at my photos should say quite succinctly for those who want to know which subspecies it is.

Bonjour

I am not stripping it of its identity

for me yes ,but no matter after all, everyone will have their own idea

jeff

Bonjour

P.x 'Aphrodite = P.agnata x moctezumae

and yours ?

compare also the rosette .

jeff

Cross is the same. Foliage is nearly identical. I'm not at a loss as to the parentage of the various cultivars I grow or want to grow, that's not the issue; this is information I've known for a long time. What was the problem was a similar plant with the wrong cultivar name, same issue as with 'Sethos,' 'Weser', so on, so forth.

Back