What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When's the best time to take Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' leaf cuttings?

tommyr

Gardening freak!
Hi all,
Received a Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' today. Looks real good but I'd like to know when to take leaf cuttings. I've failed somewhat in the past with pings due to I believe over watering (I.E. left in a water tray instead of just keeping moist) so I'd like to eventually take a leaf or 2 to start a few new plants just in case. The plant does not appear to be in dormancy at all (no succulent leaves).

Thanks in advance for any help/tips!

Tom

You want to take pullings after the plant is dormant. It's the succulent leaves you're looking for.

Any time is usually alright for me.

Take a leaf, lay it on a mineral mix (perlite|vermiculite|pumice works well for me) in a close pot.
The mix need to be humid but I usually only put a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pot.
Be sure that the white part of the leaf is a bit buried and you should have plantlets in a few weeks.

Really easy. The trick is to not use too much water but keep high humidity. That way, the leaf will not rot.

Any time will do. You just have a better chance of success when the leaves are in the succulent phase. The pullings just have to stay alive long enough for the plantlets to develop to the point where they will survive on their own.

Thanks all for the replies! I had heard different time frames but succulent leaves were the main one. This plant isn't in dormancy though. I'm going to give it several weeks to acclimate to my house/window before deciding when to do it but I wanted more expert opinions.

'Aphrodite' is one of the ones that you cannot count on to go dormant, however. They may slow down during winter, and leaves will often shorten, but they won't go truly succulent all the time. Taking a leaf pulling during spring would probably be your best bet, so within the next couple months. If you're worried about losing the plant, take a pulling or two now, even active growth leaves can be used.

'Aphrodite' is one of the ones that you cannot count on to go dormant, however. They may slow down during winter, and leaves will often shorten, but they won't go truly succulent all the time. Taking a leaf pulling during spring would probably be your best bet, so within the next couple months. If you're worried about losing the plant, take a pulling or two now, even active growth leaves can be used.

Sounds like a plan. The plant is healthy but I haven't mastered mexican pings yet so I want a backup plan! Thanks for the info!

My Aphrodite never went dormant at all. Been blooming off and on throughout the year too. IME, Aphrodite tends to pup easily so leaf strikes are not always essential.

My Aphrodite never went dormant at all. Been blooming off and on throughout the year too. IME, Aphrodite tends to pup easily so leaf strikes are not always essential.

Great! Thanks! I heard they do bloom year round. Another bonus for thet plant!

12996801324_c91f977533_c.jpg

Carnivorous leaves have worked just fine for me. It is not even necessary to have the entire leaf intact. As you can see in some of my recent leaf pulls, there is callus forming at the wound site. I had presumed that these partials would not make it, imagine my surprise. I give them a weekly mist so that partial leaves and old leaves will not desiccate.

Pings are quiet resilient. I have defoliated pings to just a few leaves, only to have them come back with a vengeance.

Very nice! IIRC Joseph had a nice write up with photos on ping leave pullings. Need to find that again.

'Dormant' leaves are easier to work with, particularly when it comes to long leaves, but anytime works.

'Dormant' leaves are easier to work with, particularly when it comes to long leaves, but anytime works.

Thanks Jim! I'm going to let this plant acclimate a week or so before taking one leaf off. Photo of the plant soon.

Back