What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Arrival Question

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
When receiving new Mexican pings, do you immediately take leaf cuttings or do you wait until the plants have been established, before doing so?

Taking pullings immediately upon arrival if often very easy. Many species (depending on phase of growth) will arrive somewhat battered from shipping and leaves may already be off or very loosened.

i often take cuttings upon arrival with lots of different plants,my theory is they already have the hump so why wait until they settle in just to disturb them again,unless they have not much foliage and look on their last legs

Depends how they look when they come in but so far I've taken pullings from most of my pings as soon as I get them. A couple had too few leaves and were a little battered from shipping so I left them.

I received a few Mexican pings recently and a few leaves were already loose and off the plants. None of them took though. I DID take a leaf or two and one 'Alfred Lau #13 took and one "Aphrodite' looks like it's taking but it's early yet.

If the plant you receive is healthy it should be no problem at all to take a reasonable amount of pullings. I would 1/8-strength spray-feed the momma plant afterwards though, to help it replace the lost tissue.

Well, I think it depends on what kind of foliage is on the Pinguicula when you get it. I've heard that succulent-like foliage is easy to propagate them from, and that it is more difficult to do it using carnivorous foliage.

Jimscott,

I take leaves from all my plants, all the time, whenever I feel like it (usually every 2 months). For pings, my observations are: 1) the type of leaf does not matter 2) getting the leaf bottom does not matter 3) the number of leaves on the mother plant does not really matter (I have balded some down to 2-3 leaves). My pings have carnivorous leaves year round since they experience no temperature or light changes. The smallest leaves I have taken were 4-5mm from a 1/2'' diameter debbertiana, and they all sprouted. After trying different conditions, I have found that lower light conditions and wet APS (spritz weekly or whenever it appears completely dry) works 100% of the time. The pressure from something on top of the leaf base (APS) stimulates the growth much faster than if not. Personally, I use petri dishes, since that is what I have available. If I do not get the base of the leaf, I make sure that I will spritz with water more frequently since they will be prone to dessication (make sure that these are well wedged under something). Under the lower light the new growth will be etiolated - not to worry, just keep spritzing weekly. If I lose any leaves in a cycle, they will be those half ripped ones and a result of my neglect. I keep the little plantlets under low light until I see some roots and they are at least 5mm-10mm diameter. At this time, I will pot them up and subject them to the higher light levels.

Jimscott,

I take leaves from all my plants, all the time, whenever I feel like it (usually every 2 months). For pings, my observations are: 1) the type of leaf does not matter 2) getting the leaf bottom does not matter 3) the number of leaves on the mother plant does not really matter (I have balded some down to 2-3 leaves). My pings have carnivorous leaves year round since they experience no temperature or light changes. The smallest leaves I have taken were 4-5mm from a 1/2'' diameter debbertiana, and they all sprouted. After trying different conditions, I have found that lower light conditions and wet APS (spritz weekly or whenever it appears completely dry) works 100% of the time. The pressure from something on top of the leaf base (APS) stimulates the growth much faster than if not. Personally, I use petri dishes, since that is what I have available. If I do not get the base of the leaf, I make sure that I will spritz with water more frequently since they will be prone to dessication (make sure that these are well wedged under something). Under the lower light the new growth will be etiolated - not to worry, just keep spritzing weekly. If I lose any leaves in a cycle, they will be those half ripped ones and a result of my neglect. I keep the little plantlets under low light until I see some roots and they are at least 5mm-10mm diameter. At this time, I will pot them up and subject them to the higher light levels.

I just can't resist :lol:
(inside joke)
jen_meme.jpg

mommy the evil fuzzy pink hamster lady is at it again.....

Oddly enough, I just replaced the APS with a mix of perlite, sand, and egg shells. Sometimes a shipped plant loses its leaves in shipping. So I have no choice. I just took a received agnata 'True Blue' and stripped it down to a single leaf. non-carnivorous leaves are just easier to work with, relative to carnivorous leaves of longer leafed plants. I'm just not sure how stripping a plant down to its base affects that plant. Another thing is that I am not sure how much water should be in the tray for leaf cuttings, as opposed to parent plants.

Back