What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats wrong?

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my butterworts? They are a vibrant green color but the petals are falling off the plant. They are laying flat to the dirt too. Is this a sign of root rot or too much water or perhaps not being wet enough? Thanks for the help! I cannot post pictures yet or I would.

Pics would be helpful to be sure.

However, if the center of your plant is mushy and brown then I'm reasonably sure you've got Ping Crown Rot. It's caused by the fungus Fusarium and there really isn't a whole lot you can do once you've got it. I've treated it with fungicides but cultural and preventative controls are a lot better.

Best protocol to deal with it:
-Toss the plant(s) so they don't let it spread. You can't root the leaf cuttings because they're dead at the base. I've tried.
-Fusarium grows better when you do one or more of these things: (1) overwatering (2) temperatures too high and (3) pH is not right

ok thanks. i removed one that did seem broken at the base. the other is looking the same but the base is not broken and the leaves are turning brown from where they connect to the base and outward.

ok thanks. i removed one that did seem broken at the base. the other is looking the same but the base is not broken and the leaves are turning brown from where they connect to the base and outward.
That's exactly the symptom of fusarium: leaves rotting at the base.

ok removing both. thanks again. do pings normally need to stay wet at the surface or do they ever dry out?

I grow my pings in either pure spag, dried spag/basalt (any ratio) and peat/sand, humidity of 70% and up, filtered light and temps from 8c-40c, but I only grow tropical pings, I tried a few temperate (prims and vulg's) but they were not happy.

I use 15cm tall pots and have a 5cm water tray in summer then a 2cm tray in winter.

My understanding is that they like it humid but generally the plant itself (leaves/crown) wants to be dry, although in saying that I have flooded my rectifolia (accidentally) a couple times and it didn't seem fazed.

They also seem to flower at random for me, in both summer and winter, wet or dry, high to lower humidity (70-100%), and they massacre gnats and moth.

Mine are growing on my table in a windowsil. Can they live forever inside like this? Can they handle outside in northern california? If outside do they just need to be in a filtered light or shadowed area? During winter do they need to experience a frost or will a frost kill them? THanks for the help.

Depends on the ping most likely. I live in the South Bay and I grow my moranensis 'D' and 'Pirouette' outside for most of the year in semi-filtered light. We don't really get frost though so I can't speak to that. The temp fluctuations allow them to naturally cycle between their dormant and active growth fazes, although I often bring them in for their dormancy in the summer. They get the added bonus of catching a lot of fungus gnats and things too when they grow outside.

If it isn't 'browning heart', older leaves do die off. If you have access to a camera, maybe we can figure it out.

I have a camera but am new. I think I need to post a certain amount of times before I can post attach images.

Back