What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APS with Zeolite ok?

I have been meaning to try APS as a medium for my MexiPings for a long time. Oddly enough, the local Lowe's, Home Depot, etc don't carry it.
A lot of the APS I am finding online has zeolite mixed in it. Is this an issue?

I used zeolite when raising tropical and temperate fish. It absorbs ammonia, can be "recharged" (ammonia stripped away) by soaking in salt water.
Not sure what the PH is though.

No issue at all. I have been using it for many years with no ill effects. I usually mix in equal portions of well rinsed oyster shell and sometimes perlite depending on species and past experience.

I have used zeolite in aquariums too, but just have seen little mention of it as part of a ping mix. I was surprised to see it in all the APS, but I guess it makes sense.
It is good to know that it seems to have no ill effect when used in a ping mix.
I did find a Turface distributor, about a 2 hour drive away.

Just wondering... what is APS?

Aquatic Plant Soil, usually refers to products made from sintered Fuller's earth and similar clays.

You are probably referring to PondCare brand APS,
I've used it without issue, overpriced but good stuff.... and the actual amount of zeolite is minimal, more for marketing value imho

I converted to APS but after awhile the plants looked sickly. I went back to sand / perlite / egg shells.

Back