What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coconut Fiber (Coir) For Pings?

Has anyone here used Coconut Coir for Mexican Pinguicula? If so, what were your results?

The ground up coir? Have moranensis and Aphrodite growing in a mix of coir and coarse silia sand. They've been doing well.

Yes, the fine ground up fiber. Thank you for the input, I will try a ping in this mix and see how it does. I use peat right now, but I think it is a bit acidic and it dries out too easily.

Is there a specific brand I should look for?

Last edited:
I would wash it very thoroughly, just in case, since that stuff can have a lot of salts in it

So I finally tried this growing medium. It has been 6 days with my test pinguicula plants. If I did not rinse it enough or if it was going to cause problems, I would have noticed something by now, yes? The roots are all good and some plants are producing more mucous than ever.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I actually (2 weeks ago) planted a Capensis and a ping into a salty sand mix. My Capensis immediately showed signs of mineral burn while the ping isnt showing any damage yet. I'd just keep a close eye on it

I have had similar experiences with Drosera. They seem to be extremely delicate plants, while pinguicula seem to be pretty tolerant of environmental changes.

Back