What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Pirouette, Esseriana, and Tina

Soooooo, I made the mistake to choose my Pings based on looks.

I read in Savage Garden that Esseriana is a tropical ping. Pirouette is a hybrid and I couldn't find Tina anywhere.

It also says temperate shouldn't go on a windowsill. So, I just want to make sure this three pings are compatible in the same environment.

Also, how do they look?

I didn't realize that ping's roots were THAT short. I literally had to push some soil towards the roots with a pair of extra small tweezer.

Pirouette
IMG_2166_zpsb53b80ff.jpg

Esseriana
IMG_2165_zps9c349504.jpg

Tina
IMG_2164_zpsf69f2d03.jpg

Last edited:
All of these are Mexican Pinguicula species or hybrids. The three of them should be able to grow in the same conditions with no problem at all.

Keep in mind that they have a dry dormancy period. These Pinguicula are not "tropical" in the sense that they will grow year round no matter what, but the dormancy period of some species and hybrids is optional.

Also, ping roots are fairly rudimentary, as you have observed. Inorganic media tends to give them much stronger root systems and reduces root rot susceptibility.

Last edited:
They look good to me. Mine grow just fine by windows. I even have one that hardly gets direct light at all, if any, and it does fine. When I plant pings, I dig a small hole with one of my fingers, I place the plant on that lightly, then implode the hole by softly pushing the dirt in under the plant.

Oh, and I did notice that the Pirouette has water droplets on it. If those pings ever get direct light, do not let the leaves be that wet. I water my pings at night for this reason, and sometimes I brush off excess water if I accidentally get some on the plant. The plant leaves will potentially get sunburn more easily if they are noticeably wet while receiving direct sun.

I read in the book and did some research about dry dormancy. Around what time of the months should I cut back on watering. and let them periodically dry out?

For soil, I just used peat moss, sand, and perlite.

DroseraLover

Hmm..... maybe I don't have to worry about them as much. Thanks for the tip, i'll make sure to no water is on the leafs.

Mexican butterworts tend to let you know when they want to dry out, but it will usually be starting in the next couple months. And when we say dry out, we mean DRY. Most of these guys will experience nearly desert conditions, so maybe giving them a little moisture every now and then is all they will need or want when dormant.
Your soil is similar to what a lot of people use, but I would look up whether or not the plants you have like alkaline soils or not, as those that do you will need to supplement the soil with something.

Thanks for the clarification on that, I wasn't sure if dry meant kinda dry, very dry, or dry dry. The dessert condition reference def cleared things up.

I"ll def do some research to see if they prefer alkaline soil. APPRECIATE THE HELP :)

Back