What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

winter photoperiod for mexican pings?

Hello all!

I've recently added a few mexican pings to my previously drosera and sarracenia heavy collection. this is my first year growing plants under artificial lights, and I'm not sure exactly how short a photoperiod I should bring the mexican pings down to. will 10 hours be short enough to induce dormant characteristics in those that exhibit them? should I bring it down to 8?

for now I have them under the same lights as my heliamphora (also new to these) and I'm hoping the two groups will be able to share the same photoperiod all winter.

8 - 10 hours dropped gradually over the course of several weeks will be fine for the Pinguicula during winter. Heliamphora don't experience much if any change in photoperiod and will not benefit from a drastic drop in light. I would recommend no less than 12 hours of light daily for Heliamphora, mine get approximately 15 hours of light a day year round.

excellent, thanks so much. I think I can make that work with my lighting setup.

Most Mexican Pinguicula grow close enough to the Equator that the the daylight period only varies 1-2.5 hours between summer and winter. There are numerous tables or calculators for seasonal daylight length. Approximate location data can be found on www.pinguicula.org.

For example P. aganata is found in the State of Hidalgo (20°29′N 98°52′W). Using an astronomy applet the hours of daylight vary from about 10.88 hours in winter to 13.37 hours in summer.

I quit changing my photoperiod years ago. I keep it at approx. 14 hours a day. I used to putz around with the timers and try to simulate the four seasons. A friend of mine suggested I try keeping it the same and to my surprise, I've had no ill effects! I grow many mexican pings as well as neps, drosera, and orchids. They have all pretty much adapted-
For what it's worth-

I've grown a wide variety and quantity of Mexican Pinguicula, and other CP under fluorescent lights in my plant room. I've tried many different lighting schemes (timing and durations), through the years. I've had best results using as high an intensity as possible, and keeping the lights on, 24 hours per day/7 days per week/ and 365 of the year. I keep the lights within a few inches of the leaves, and only raise the lights to accommodate their flower stalks.

Joseph, welcome back!

Back