What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on mineral soils

I have been on planning on changing my mexican Pinguicula soil to a pure mineral base. I am currently using the sarracenia northwest mix which contains sand, peat and perlite. It just seems a little too wet. After reading as many posts I can on this forum on pure mineral mixes I am still confused which one to go with. I am growing my pings under 7 4 ft sunblaster t5's hight output. I have read that the addition of dolomite and iron oxide is a great benefit. Can some of you folks share your pure mineral soil recipes? Thanks!

I use pure Turface "Infield Conditioner" ( http://www.turface.com/turface-products/infield-conditioners ) for all my Mexican Pinguicula. I have not had a single issue with these plants since switching to this media and there was a noticeable difference in the overall health and condition of the plants within one season after switching to it. I've experimented with other mixes both with and without Turface as an ingredient and the plants are far happier just using it by itself without any other amendments. I've found that mixes containing peat or lfs stay far too wet for most of them during the growing season, exceptions to this are plants in the P.moranensis complex and P.moctezumae (these plants also do not seem to need an obligatory dormancy), which seem to want slightly wetter conditions for active growth as well as their dormancy period. I've since started keeping these particular plants in a separate tray from the rest and periodically watering them during the winter while none of the others are given water for 2 to 3 months. I've found Turface to be ideal for all species as long as the individual species seasonal moisture requirements are taken into consideration.

I've used many different all-mineral substrates to grow Mexican Pinguicula: Aragonite, coral sand, gypsum, washed silica sand (various grit sizes), charcoal, perlite, pumice, vermiculite, Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil (APS), sintered clay pellets, and plain kitty litter. All of these substrates, and others, including various combinations/mixtures of all of these, have all been suitable to cultivate Mexican Pinguicula plants, including just putting them into transparent plastic 'rocks' glasses, without any media at all.

Some species/hybrids appear to benefit from media with calcium in them, including crushed eggshells or oyster shells - others, not so much. I particularly like adding some iron oxide powder (like that used for ceramic glazes), to all media. Also, I generally add dried, ground, insect powder to the media surface, when potting plants, and periodically to the leaves, thereafter. Including some RootShield® (Trichoderma harzianum), dusted on the media surface or mixed into the powdered insect feed.

One thing my cultivation method prefers, which is contrary to many other growers. I like to use strong fluorescent lighting, with lights on for 24/7/365 and a strong attempt to maintain the water levels in plastic trays, near the surface of the media, year-'round.

A common misconception, reinforced by several popular books about CP, is that Mexican Pinguicula are dormant in the winter. They are never, truly "dormant". Some are heterophyllous, and some are homophyllous. Heterophyllous plants produce two different leaf forms, depending on the season/environmental clues, though none ever stop growing, with many of these heterophyllous plants blooming from both summer and winter growth phases, while others regularly blooming from either their summer or winter growth phases. There are a few possible exceptions - perhaps Pinguicula medusina is one; though I suspect even they're still growing, even when they look like little dead balls/bulbs.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do you use all-mineral media for P. hemiepiphytica and P.emarginata as well? Eric Patrat apparently uses organic mixes for these two, but I am unsure of the rationale behind doing so.

I use all Turface on all my plants. I just keep some a bit wetter than others in winter.

Finally found some Turface about a year ago and I just love the stuff, would highly recommend getting some.

Another great addition if you can find it is 1/8"ish lava rock, it can be hard to find but it works really well for helping the medium dry and it does not float.

Just out of curiosity, do you use all-mineral media for P. hemiepiphytica and P.emarginata as well? Eric Patrat apparently uses organic mixes for these two, but I am unsure of the rationale behind doing so.

Yes, I have had excellent success growing both P. hemiepiphytica and P. emarginata in all-mineral media. Using the same methods I use for most of the Mexican Pinguicula.

BTW, turface and Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil are exactly the same thing. Schultz also sells the same product under the name "Multi-Purpose Soil Conditioner".

Last edited:
Cthulhu, could you share your watering cycle with Turface please ?

I also use near 100% mineral mix for my pings. They sit in 4 inches plastic pot but still, with Turface, the middle of the pot seem to always remain wet. Do you see this too ?

It really doesn't matter what media (in this case half silica sand and half coral sand) I use, it is always wet. That's because I keep my potted Mexican/equitorial Pinguicula in plastic trays, and I keep the water levels in the trays, near the top of the media levels in the pots. I do this year-'round, and also keep the lights on 24/7/365.

Here is a photo of Pinguicula gypsicola, which is in its own rocks glass. The media in the pot is just below the top of the rocks glass. I refresh the water in the glass, daily, to maintain the level just below the media surface.

i-3mkq26G-M.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the thoughts everyone, just getting started with mexican pings myself and this helps a lot. I'm using a mixture of perlite, vermiculite, turface, and sand. my p moctezumae didn't seem to like it.

Thanks for the responses! Is it better to overhead water or tray water with full mineral mixes? With my 7 4ft sunblaster T5's High output the water evaporation will be a little higher. If I decide to do with 100% aquatic plant soil (APS) I was reading that an inch layer of LFS on the bottom is a good thing to help with moisture. Out of the other mineral mixes, can someone give me what ratio they used on some of the full mineral mixes out there? I am just trying to get it right the first time. There is a certain website that is selling a quart of full mineral soil for mexican butterworts (APS, Sand, iron oxide, orchid fertilizer). Its the same as Joseph is using right down to the fertilizer. Its not the $6.00 charge, its the $21.00 shipping for the 1 quart that won't make sense since I have to report a ton of them.

Tks Joseph.

Darkshroud :

I'm using 1/3 APS, 1/3 perlite, 1/3 vermiculite + 1 spoon of worm casting / pot.
4 inches plastic pots.
Even with no LFS on the bottom of the pot, the core of the media always remain wet.
Water tray method, 1 cm of water. I'm thinking of raising the water level and following Joseph comment.
In winter, RH drop below 30% here so I put a plastic dome over the tray.

Back