What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula emarginata

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I'd been growing this species (Pinguicula emarginata) for several years, having a large population of them, all derived from a single original plant.

I enjoy this species, one of the homophyllous growth types, and one that doesn't do well unless kept continuously moist, more like the Pinguicula of the S.E. U.S.A.

The only clone I was currently growing, had all-green leaves, and pale, nearly all-white flowers, with a few bluish/lavender veins. Then I received a plant of the clone illustrated in the pic below -> WOW!

The plant in the pic is planted in all-mineral media, primarily APS/silica sand. It is in a 2" plastic pot.
i-p7XDXZP-XL.jpg

Is anyone else growing forms of this species that show a variety of color and habit?

Last edited:
Beautiful plant. Love seeing the flowers. The few times I have had this species it was either mislabeled or died out.

Jim,
The flower on this clone was overall medium blue color, with darker blue veins. I think I might have a pic of it somewhere. I"m continuing to search through my archives, which are somewhat disorganized. If I can find it, I will add it here. Though there are similar flowers linked at the CP Photo Finder - one is here. Though I think it was even a little darker than that one.

Years ago, I saw a pic from someone (I cannot remember who), the plant had an almost solid dark blue flower, with just a hint of veins. I really would like to have a clone of that, someday.

Despite my propensity for keeping my Mexican/equatorial Pinguicula perpetually wet, I do sometimes let them get somewhat drier than I'd like. I've lost some of this species when I unintentionally let that happen to them. :blush:

Last edited:
Ah, this is one of my favorite pinguicula! The colors on your plant are amazing!

I had one a long time ago, but I didn't realize it liked to be kept wet. When it started declining, I kept it drier and unsurprisingly, it died! :-))

Nice ..... I have to get more Pings in my collection.........

Back