What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

list of calciphilious (calcium-loving) mexican pings?

• Thread starter Ras
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pings
I would love to know what pings can potentially tolerate calcium.

If you look through this old article, you will discover many of them.

thanks
thats where I first looked but until now I didnt notice that the list had a key to it, A for acidic soil and B for basic (alkaline)
it seems most the plants listed as growing in basic media are mexican, but a lot of the mexican pings are not labeled or labeled with a question mark or AB which I assume means it can grow in both acidic and basic
so is it safe to assume that most mexican pinguicula can handle alkalinity? or are there certain species in that complex that are known to be sensitive to high pH?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most Mexican Pings grow on calciferous media in the wild. Many temperate and subtemperate species do, too, but it depends.

As has been mentioned, many Mexican species grow in substrates that contain calcium, though, not all of those are basic. The mineral gypsum (calcium sulfate), usually has a neutral pH. However, the mineral, calcium carbonate aka lime, tufa, or chalk, is usually slightly basic.

about how long would it take to see a decline in my plants from bad water quality? took my dews about a week, but this is an entirely different plant.

Bonjour

hard to tell ,many parameters comes into play, the nature of your water, but also of your substrate, etc .

jeff

my media is inert

i just find it confusing to have no time frame.
seems hard to know if it is truly working you know?

excuse me

Last edited:
you use what inert substrat ? perlite,rockwool , etc?

it is a hydroponic cultivation ?

jeff

1part lava rock 2partsilica sand and 1 perlite with small amounts of peat sprinkled into it, my other pot is 100% granite. thought these may not be 100% inert its definitely not raising tds or ph.
If I dont see any damage by summer(may or so) would it be safe to say it worked? or would I need longer?

personnaly, i look my pings everyday... and if you do the same, normally you can see in one day, if something going wrong...
if its not better in 3 or 4 days...be carreful....
look if leaf going "dry" .. or the center of rosette going brown ( dead is near)... ping must do new leaves when other going dry... if it's not the case, be worry..

Back