What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are things Pinguicula ready for leaf pullings?

Usually, I exactly do the same method as Joseph do...
I take the older leaf when i put my pings in a new pot with new perlite.... it is really the most easy way to do, because the plant is on your hand, and you can reverse her...
i prefer the carnivorous leaf because they are more big than the winter leaf....and i found that winter leaf are more breakable...

I really prefer to unpot them first, but I suppose it could be done without unpotting them. Just, like ignis said, gently (with fingers), pull the leaf left of crown, right of crown, then down (if possible). I'm afraid that using any metal tools would cause injury to the leaves where the metal put pressure on them. Just don't put too much pressure on the leaves with your fingers, either. Your objective is to have the leaf cleanly detach itself from the plant's stem, or as near to the stem as possible.

The leaves are pretty durable, but still fragile and easily damaged. Any damage can affect the leaves ability to successfully produce viable plantlets.

Last edited:
This p. laueana is always with summer leaves....so the chance is that the leaves are big enough to make it easy...
It sure that metal tools cause injury, and the leaf will be probably destroy by botrytis or something like that, before having any plantlets...
in most of cases, when you unpot a pinguicula, leaf are often auto-separate for the rest of plant, because ping must be manipulated so much carefully, that leaf pulling was making itself :)

Bonjour

for me it is more easier to make leaves cutting with dormance leaves .

more easier to detach the leaves of the rosette , sometimes without problem.

more easier to have rejection with a succulent leaves .

jeff

Fresh leaf pulling a have a higher rate of striking if I'm not wrong
Cheers

As an example, this Pinguicula 'Titan' was just repotted, before this it had both the winter form leaves and older summer form leaves. In the process of repotting it, I gently removed all the older, summer form leaves, to use in propagation, then potted it up with only the winter form leaves remaining, and topped the pot with 12 grit silica sand.

i-vwWb6G6-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I just take the plant in hand and go around in a circle, pulling the oldest leaves. It doesn't matter if they are 'summer' or 'winter' leaves.

Back