What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula Planifolia Issue

I have a Pinguicula Planifolia that has suddenly developed an issue where the tips of its leaves are drying out. It still produces mucous elsewhere and has growth from the center of the plant. I grow this plant in a bowl with S. Psittacina and P. Lutea, those plants are healthy and have no such issues. I keep the soil really moist, and the grow lights should not be the issue... If not either of those, are there other possible causes?

Are you using a fan? In my experience Pinguicula have reacted poorly to strong airflow (positioned directly in front of a fan) and browning leaf tips was one of the reactions.

Last edited:
Sadly, that is not the case here. I do not use fans in my setup. This is the only plant in my collection that has this issue. Thanks for the input though, that is good to know for future reference anyway.

Does its leaves touch the sides of the bowl? I had a problem like that and it was the heat from the lamps ir the sun hitting the glass at a point that it would dry out the tios if the leaves that touched, i removed it to a cup in a bag thinking it would help and it did then i just removed it over time from the bag and it is fine now :) just a suggestion hope u figure it out!

I thought about that, but since other Pinguicula are doing fine, I do not believe that is the issue. The new leaf seems to be coming in without a wilted tip, so maybe it was just some sort of obscure stress issue. Thanks for the input, KATastrophe.

Last edited:
No problem as someone who seems to have issues with pings in general i understand the fustration and have been thru it to the point most of the pings i share with the kids a baby planifolia and a more typical one easy to find (and now one i got thru trade) have all struggled with dry or browning leaf tips, are in open bags to keep humidity and moisture to keep them happy till we find a good sized tank to buy or donated or borrowed to keep them in. I hope it was just a little stress that caused the dryness with ur plants and they recover :) let us kno

Last edited:
Based on my experience, it is due to sudden drop of humidity and/or heat stress. It happens often to me right after re-pot when the root system is disturbed.

Back