What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - Dome or No Dome for injuried plant

• Thread starter Steverd
  • Start date
Just got a beat up P.Moranensis in the mail today.
Shipped bare root and there is plenty of damage.
I've already planted this plant and a leaf for backup.
Should I put this plant under a dome or NO dome for the recovery?

Thank you for the advice!
Steve

No dome in my opinion, its a little beat up, I've received pings in worse condition though and they recover just fine. The leaf pulling is always a good idea, I might even grab another.

I agree with Axel, u cant have enough backup pullings :) Goodluck

Thank you for the quick replies!
Would you dome the leaf pullings then?
(I can put under a dome or a ziplock bag)
Thoughts?

THANK YOU again!
Steve

I used to bag mine, found it to be a hassle and just started sticking them on moderately wet turface under a dome, I still get decent strike rates.

Like everyone else said, no dome. That plant doesn't even look that bad, imo. Mexican Pinguicula are incredibly durable. Given proper light and moisture it should look presentable in no time.

Last edited:
Like everyone else said, no dome. That plant doesn't even look that bad, imo. Mexican Pinguicula are incredibly durable. Given proper light and moisture it should look presentable in no time.

I'll post a follow up photo in a week. I think the photo makes it look better than it is, every large leaf is bend, cracked or creased.
The plant is under my new EnviroGro T5 fixture, so it should be getting lots of light and I'll keep a close eye on keep it moist.
Thank you for the reply!

Here's photo updates. Day 1 is 24 hours after arriving and Day 2 is 48 hours.

DAY 1

DAY 2

Thoughts?

All plants shipped go through stress and possibly decline briefly until acclimated to your conditions. IMO give it stable conditions and it will rebound quickly.

Sent from my brain

Dome? What's a dome? ??? :scratch: I've ever needed to use one. The atmosphere over there must be extremely dry.:gulp:

Honestly, with P. moranensis I'd probably just let the leaves burn and shrivel if they're going to. The new growth should be adapted to room humidity.

For shipping-stressed Mex ping, I keep them in a relatively drier medium with good air humidity (~60-80%RH). No water tray. No dome. Wet medium and too high humidity encourage root rotting for stressed ping.

As long as you see new leave growing, it will survive.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Dome? What's a dome? ??? :scratch: I've ever needed to use one. The atmosphere over there must be extremely dry.:gulp:

It's one of those big domes like they had in the simpsons movie, he's asking if he should put one of those over his neighbourhood to reduce wind :)

It's one of those big domes like they had in the simpsons movie, he's asking if he should put one of those over his neighbourhood to reduce wind :)

MrsG read that bit about reducing wind. I told her I'm not moving into a dome:nono:

Back