What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expanding collection

I'm interested in acquiring a specimen of P. Weser. It seems any online outlet either does not stock them, or is sold out. Anybody know where I might find one? :hail:

The true P. 'Weser' is a bit of a rarity nowadays. Most you'll find are imposters.

If they are imposters, what species are they, then? That is a very interesting tidbit of information, and I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Pinguicula 'weser' is a cultivar, meaning that it has very specific attributes, and true Weser are propagated from the initial parent, or from clones of it. Not every moranensis x ehlersiae = p. Weser. But, I believe it is available if you look.

Last edited:
So, in theory, if I bred Moranensis and ehleriae enough times, I could conceivably eventually produce a plant that has all the traits of Weser, BUT it still wouldn't be Weser, because it is not propagated from the original Weser strain, correct?

So, in theory, if I bred Moranensis and ehleriae enough times, I could conceivably eventually produce a plant that has all the traits of Weser, BUT it still wouldn't be Weser, because it is not propagated from the original Weser strain, correct?

Theoretically, yes, but like you said it could not be the actual P. 'Weser'

I wish I had joined this world sooner. 22 years of life, wasted not knowing the amazing world of carnivorous horticulture.

Theoretically, yes, but like you said it could not be the actual P. 'Weser'

Technically, if the plant produced shares every single trait that 'Weser' has, then it can be considered the same cultivar; the rules of registration cover physical appearance and the general parentage (IF known), not the specific clonal lines. Look at Sarracenia 'Hurricane Creek White' or Drosera spatulata 'Tamlin', for example. Or D. burmannii 'Pilliga Red'.
That said, exactly reproducing the cultivar is going to be just about impossible to do with how minutely variable these hybrids tend to be. And the parents would have to be the same forms as the original cross.

So my usual outlet has them in stock! Whether they're *actually* Weser, I don't know, but as long as they're in stock, should I consider ordering a specimen? They're 15 usd. If I do get it, Then there's the question of whether I should put it in my terrarium or in my mini-bog with the pygmies.

Bonjour

x 'Weser' and x 'Sethos' have the same parent ehlersiae( the type) and moranensis( the type) but it depends on the female parent then if it is P.moranensis you have a x'Weser' if it is ehlersiae you have x'Sethos' named also 'fake weser' you can see the difference to the throat.

jeff

Back