What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. emarginata "Eric Green" developing seeds

Last summer, again, I put my P. emarginata "Eric Green" on the north side of the house outside. Again the plant is producing seed pods. I still didn't see a pollinator. Years ago before I tried putting it outside I tried selfing the flowers. That didn't work. Apologies if the picture is annoying to see. I don't know how to take pictures. There are some black dots in some seed pods. The first time this happened the pods didn't finish producing seeds. I'm guessing the plant didn't like being moved from outside to inside for Winter. I might've let it dry out too much and then over watered it. However, this year, it is OK.

EG0k9if.jpg

Last edited:
Those pollinated flowers are looking good there and the one on the right looks about ripe for harvest.

I harvest mine when the seed capsules turn from green to a translucent color.

The flower stalks are then placed on a labeled and dated piece of paper until they dry out a bit further and the seed capsule splits open.

Sometimes the capsule doesn't split open and in that case I will pry it open with a toothpick or some other type of fine instrument to carefully remove the seeds onto a piece of white paper.

At that point, the seeds can be sown atop your favored mexi-ping media...make sure it isn't too chunky on top or the seeds could be lost down between the cracks.

Best of luck with germination and some more seed grown plants in your collection. :)

dvg

Back