What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula laueana dormancy?

Hey guys,

3 months ago I bought this P. Laueana and since then it has been producing smaller and smaller leaves. I have kept it in the window where it got plenty of sun most of the time and the soil has been kept moist with the tray method. Also I live in the netherlands, so spring is just around the corner. Could it be it just got too hot near my window? Minimum temperature is around 20 degrees C and if the sun hits it, temperatures can reach 25 to 30 degrees max. Is it going dormant to prepare for a dry period? Are these the 'succulent' leaves I've read about? Should I let it go dormant and gradually stop watering?

Any advice would be appreciated!

5c404aa89548ef9bee4e814187894da5.jpg

d0de450514de023e9cf8331fc94ef545.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, those are the winter leaves. I would keep it just moist but I don't have any experience with this species so you should probably wait for another opinion.

Bonjour

it is indeed dormant, perhaps with a flower prepare . In my opinion a slightly moist substrate is sufficient(especially not soggy ) .

it is really late for dormancy

jeff

Alright, thanks guys! I will reduce watering and see what happens :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Species that produce succulent winter phases like this can be allowed to go basically completely dry, sprinkling perhaps occasionally with water every week or so but they use almost nothing once in this stage. Definitely don't keep it any wetter than barely damp at this time or you risk rot.

What media is it growing in? Also yeah that is definitely succulent winter growth. Mine is in carnivorous growth at this point, but with winter leaves still present.

Pinguicula laueana
This page may help you.

EDIT: Also, in my experience, Mexican Pinguicula produce carnivorous leaves in response to increased water. Can anyone else confirm this? Most advice seems to be wait for carnivorous growth to increase watering.

Last edited:
What media is it growing in? Also yeah that is definitely succulent winter growth. Mine is in carnivorous growth at this point, but with winter leaves still present.

Pinguicula laueana
This page may help you.

EDIT: Also, in my experience, Mexican Pinguicula produce carnivorous leaves in response to increased water. Can anyone else confirm this? Most advice seems to be wait for carnivorous growth to increase watering.

Right now it's growing in equal parts peat/sand/perlite. I added a top dressing of sand, that's why you only see sand. And yeah I've read that page. But isn't the growth cycle kinda messed up? Shouldn't it start producing carnivorous leaves when spring begins? Do you think I can change this cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonjour

see here the laueana substrat 'in situ' Postcard_14_4

very mineral no with some time moss?

when talking about winter should rather speak of dry season, hence the succulent leaves, arachnoid, and even with winter buds or onions .

ROBBEVANRIE Let nature do as she wants :banana2:

jeff

Last edited:
Back