What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula x (vallisnerifolia x grandiflora)

I purchased the gemmae of this Pinguicula x (vallisnerifolia x grandiflora) a couple of years ago. This is the first flower I've had on it so far.

Cultivationi exactly the same as all the other hardy Pinguicula I have. An undrained tray of peat/ granite grit with a little Levington's M3 added.

27055580802_44773f2c9f_o.jpg

Levington M3

A medium structured high nutrient growing media designed for bedding and pot plants requiring high feed levels. Controlled release fertilier is not recommended for use with this product.

Last edited:
I purchased the gemmae of this Pinguicula x (vallisnerifolia x grandiflora) a couple of years ago.

I think I'm cultivating a similar hardy Pinguicula hybrid.
I obtained mine as gemmae in February 2011,
The name is "Pinguicula grandiflora ssp. rosea x vallisneriifolia", hey are flowering each year since 2013. This picture has been taken in May this year.

Pinguicula_grandiflora_ssp_rosea_%20x_vallisneriifolia.png

Interesting hybrid. Do the leaves come out sort of "valis-like" in the pictures, and then lie down, or are those new leaves staying upright? I also like the incoming wall of sphagnum :)

Interesting hybrid. Do the leaves come out sort of "valis-like" in the pictures, and then lie down, or are those new leaves staying upright?/QUOTE]

I find the leaves of this hybrid are changing during the growing season.
The first leaves in spring each year are long like those of P. vallisneriifolia,but leaves growing after flowering are more "intermediate" between grandiflora and vallisneriifolia. And currently (August), many leaves of this hybrid look exactly like P. grandiflora leaves. Only a few of the vallisneriifolia-like and intermediate leaves stay somewhat upright until autumn. Most of the leavess lay down during summer. Cultivation of this hybrid is as easy as cultivation of P. grandiflora is for me. But while P. grandiflora is creating masses of gemmae during the winter months, the hybrid only creates very few gemmae, even from very big winter buds.

While growing pure P. grandiflora and also cltivation of this hybrid is easy for me, I'm unable to grow P. vallisneriifolia in my area. I think that winter conditions here are a bit too harsh for the pure P. vallisneriifolia species in my location.

Back