What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cat litter

Bonjour

have you ever used this kind of substrate ( cat litter ,non agglomerating and unscented) in mix for all the ping calcicolous ?

I would like to have your experiences Returns.

merci

jeff

I was unaware that cat litter could be used as a calcium source. Over at pinguicula.org they list "marly calcareous detritus" as a soil ingredient for many species but never specify what they use to fill that requirement.

Bonjour

I use the litter for cats especially for attapulgite it contains, in fact it is its absorbent property that interests me.

of course I use it , in mix with other things.

jeff

Last edited:
I was going to try kitty litter once upon a time, but the only non-scented, natural stuff I could find was made of a soft clay. After a soak in a dish overnight, it turned to mud by just squeezing it between your fingers. Good test to do with any litter brand if you're unsure whether it's suitable as a soil component or not.

I've just started trying out some pings in 100% tesco low dust cat litter, so far they seem to like it

Mark

Some new cat litter at the grocery store turns to a white mush. You want the older type grey-yellow clay, non clumping and non scented as mentioned above.
That has worked best for me.

I have used what is called APS, suggested by some hobbyists. I thought it was good, at first, but later on it wasn't as effective. It's a clayey medium.

I use this cat litter with pouzzolane-vermiculite-river sand -etc not pur .
I humidify it just by capillarity

jeff

Back