What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long dormancy?

One of my pings is in dormancy right now, and it'll be autumn soon. Should I just keep it in dormancy through the winter instead of trying to bring it out of it?

You mean a Mexican Pinguicula? Those go into a succulent phase, but everyone calls it a dormancy for some reason (which makes it confusing for people who grow temperate pings). Anyways, sometimes, they can enter the phase early if conditions change suddenly or something is changed to indicate the dry season. I wouldn't worry about it, just let it do its thing, and cultivate it as if it is the dry season. My P. cyclosectas went into their succulent phase after I got them from a friend in March. I tried keeping them wet to turn them carnivorous again, but they didn't "wake up" until I gave them a period of dryness for a month or two. They only just started to produce carnivorous leaves.

Ha, I see now that I was really vague in my first post, sorry about that. I did mean a Mexican pinguicula. I guess I'll sit the succulent phase through, thanks.

Bonjour

what is called dormant for Mexican ping is, in fact, the passage has the dry period, in Mexico from November to May
they shall protect this drought, becoming succulent mostly.

in this period, the filiforms dry substrate (except moctezumae) for other, slightly moist substrate to avoid desiccation.

for temperate, dormancy, is the transition from winter without damage, most form in August one hibernaculum that protects them.

jeff

Last edited:
Back