What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Butterworts

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
...the tags are missing or faded.

101_95541_zpssvtipnzp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95551_zpse8tlwiqq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95561_zpsogton3bp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95571_zpsoxmygst6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95581_zps7yqjykcp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95591_zpszy0cdtvl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95601_zps8tdkpabf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95611_zpsk7r5jone.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No luck with flowers. Any positive ID would be helpful.

Bonjour

no flower ?

jeff

They don't flower for me!!!!!! Only moctezumae and laueana x emarginata do.

1: Titan
The rest are to be taken with several grains of salt
2,3 look like moranensis x ehlersiae hybrids. Maybe something with esseriana?
4,5 look like more moranensis/ ehlersiae hybrids.
6 is esseriana or ehlersiae.
Idk about the rest.

It's weird they don't flower. Do you fertilize? How's the light? How old are they? Peaty media reports s first choice, but if everything else is good and they're mature they really should be flowering for you. They look healthy.

Bonjour

yes they look healthy.

without flower difficult to determinate

you give them room ? you made them a dormant period (October to May) ?

jeff

Last edited:
I try dormancy by less light, cooler temps, and almost dry conditions. Only the laueana and laueana x emarginata go dormant. I'm open to suggestions.

Bonjour

the dormancy period in MEXICO corresponds to a dry spell, that's why, as the plants are succulent leaves,to protect and still succeed to live

the wet period in Mexico is between June and October

for me, begins a dormant period, and during the wet period that ends gives them insects (if they are outside they are in charge of themselves), or default, glitter for aquarium fish, but not too much or they will make a indisgestion.

if you respect the cycle I think they will bloom

jeff

Last winter I had them all on window sills, dry most of the time, getting the change of light from the outside and getting some coolness from the sills. Most of them still wanted to stay awake.

Bonjour

what temperature ?

they take insect in summer ?

jeff

Last edited:
~15 C. I feed them pulverized freezed dried bloodworms.

Bonjour

you can not go lower at about 10 ° c ,for me 15 ° c for dormancy is too high.

for me living midges, bring more substances than these pulverized freezed dried bloodworms.

no possibility for you to get them outdoor from mid-May to mid-October ?

jeff

I don't have a way of getting to 10 C. The fridge is too cold. The outside is even colder. The basement is too warm. The coldest I can attain is by getting them on window sills and drawing the cold from the outside. We don't have a garage or attic. I can only provide dryness.

I have a plan for the Mexican butterworts. I really don't have a way of providing 50 F temps. It's either 60+ or refrigerator. But I can at least keep them dry for the winter. So starting in November, I'll take them to the basement and set them up under a 48" fluorescent light, with a timer, and dry them out

Bonjour

still checked from time to time, I would not want you to lose your plants from my mistakes.
for my part I grow them like that, but hey, everyone, have special culture conditions.

for moctezumae, if you have , always leave soil moist but not soggy.
(I always practice like that, with her, for she spends a good winter here in FRANCE)

JEFF

Last edited:
LOL! P. moctezumae tends to bloom continuously, no matter what I do to them. I trust your expertise - your and Eric's, as well as Joseph Clemens. What is their photoperiod for the winter? Is it 10 or 11 hours of light?

Bonjour

like the others mexican ping.

for watering I grow them like temperate P. longifolia subsp longifolia or P.vallisneriifolia see here Postcard_25 their 'in situ' condition

jeff

I enjoyed the pictures. Who did take the photo? Whatever happened to Jeff 1?

Bonjour

for the report and the photos fernando RIVADAVIA one of the great connoisseur of Mexican pinguicula 'in situ'

Jeff 1 : may be it is not me or I forgot my password and I reregistered as Jeff 2, in fact I do not remember.

jeff

What is the actual media that Mexican pings grow in,... in Mexico?

Back