What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr. Rizzi and friends

I’ve had my P. ‘John Rizzi’ for just under a year, and this week it bloomed for the first time. Actually a few of my pings are putting on a show currently, so I thought I’d share some of the colorful display that is so welcome during this time of year.

P. ‘John Rizzi’ – I believe the hummingbirds in the D’Amato garden know what they are doing!
31118532105_8d46b78205_c.jpg

P. laueana – On on a sunny day, those droplets look like glittering gold.
31118533105_f4abf4b27a_c.jpg

P. laueana x emarginata – more glistening droplets, but the lovely orange dot under the flower’s center-opening (is there a term for that?) just doesn’t pop when skies are grey (like today). This plant is actually hosting three flowers currently:
31118532795_da3734d08e_c.jpg

(and why does it look like I need a lint brush?) :blush:

Mother/daughter – side-by-side of laueana and the laueana x emarginata hybrid - I’m always impressed by the size of the P. laueana bloom.
31118532385_5f88d4c736_c.jpg

And two more plants are in bud:
P. esseriana – maybe it’s the angle, but the almost-open bud looks like a grumpy old dude:
31118532595_494b14e1b6_c.jpg

But the flower (which I last saw in August/Sept and should see again soon) is cheerful
31118533185_88bceb7a2e_c.jpg

And lastly P. agnata, whose entire being is covered in dew-y goodness
31118533835_bdcea3b1fc_c.jpg

And one last peek at the current newbie with the rock-star nectar spur:
31082426876_c1223b6c3f_c.jpg

Nice flowers! I passed on getting a John Rizzi before, regretting it a bit :p
How does the bloom size compare with laueana?

Very nice! I picked up a decent sized John Rizzi this year and every time a new leaf lets me peak behind it I wonder if there will be a bud haha. I also love the leaves on it which seem especially tongue-like.

The "opening" in the flower is the throat.
I hope I can mange to acquire (and keep alive) laueana and its hybrids someday, still have yet ot get anything truly red in my collection...

VERY nice! I have a few Rizzi's for the past two years and they have yet to flower for me. Aphrodite and Gigantea flower for me with no problem.

Thanks all! The days are short and dreary these days, so these are very welcome.

Very nice! I picked up a decent sized John Rizzi this year and every time a new leaf lets me peak behind it I wonder if there will be a bud haha. I also love the leaves on it which seem especially tongue-like.

Keep checking - you never know! :) I was certainly pleasantly surprised when this emerged.

The "opening" in the flower is the throat.

I hope I can mange to acquire (and keep alive) laueana and its hybrids someday, still have yet ot get anything truly red in my collection...

Ah - yes, the "throat" - thanks. I definitely see more laueanas in my future - I wish you success with your endeavors! I'd recommend the laueana x emarginata hybrid, it's not quite red, but that deep color is really nice. This particular plant is really robust - it's almost a non-stop flowerer and likes to form multiple growth points. I've not had it too long (maybe 6/8-ish months) and I've had to divide the plant.

VERY nice! I have a few Rizzi's for the past two years and they have yet to flower for me. Aphrodite and Gigantea flower for me with no problem.

Mine is beginner's luck for sure. I hope yours bloom for you soon!

Hi Jeff,

Interesting information - thanks for sharing. You may be right. Based on the flower pictures on each of those links, my petals may be narrower and the white around the throat more pronounced than the real 'John Rizzi'. Whoops - I may have just found an excuse to seek out another plant.

Nice flowers! I passed on getting a John Rizzi before, regretting it a bit :p
How does the bloom size compare with laueana?

Thanks Alita. Note, Jeff's comment that I may actually have the false 'John Rizzi'.

But, here's the laueana - 'Rizzi' side by side:

31137173555_a98393c16a_c.jpg

Today the top petals are standing up a bit more. The flower had just opened yesterday, so it may "flatten out" a little.

I needed one more hand and a bit more daylight than I have to truly get this pic - but here's all three together:
31137175225_2d45e00475_c.jpg

Huh, I thought the slimmer petals were cultivation differences or something. John Rizzi flowers are supposed to be exceptionally large but I haven't seen a side by side comparison yet... Still a nice flower. Love the triple shot!

what seems to be the real 'john rizzi'
6726441349_339c36ea2c.jpg

very very different to yours , no ???

jeff

Last edited:
Yes, agreed. From the links you provided earlier - it does appear that I may have the "false" variety. I wasn't aware that there was a 'false' and a 'real', so I appreciate the information that you shared. Maybe I should rename the thread..."Will the real John Rizzi please stand up" :-(

what seems to be the real 'john rizzi'
6726441349_339c36ea2c.jpg

very very different to yours , no ???

jeff

Back