What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping won't produce carnivorous leaves

My laueana has been producing succulent leaves for about a year now. It suffered extreme damage due to a root mealie infestation, which may be the root of the problem. Anyway, mealies are gone, and it has good roots, but it still won't enter summer growth. I'm giving my plants an early spring under lights, 12 on 12 off at the moment. Has anyone had a ping that got stuck in winter growth? Anyone ever bring a stuck ping out of it?

Bonjour

actually at your home you are in winter ?

in mexico actually it is a dry period ( the plants are in dormance ) It wakes up in June during the rainy season

jeff

Yeah we're in winter here. Makes it a bad time to try to troubleshoot a weird dormancy. I am only questioning because this plant has been dormant for nearly a year.

Last edited:
have you the possibility in summer to get out this plant outside ?

From which region of the USA are you ?

jeff

I could put it outside this summer. I live in the northwest, zone 8b

I've noticed that I could for P. calderoniae that were starting to go into winter mode back into summer mode by using a foliar fertilizer. It's always worth a shot.

here in FRANCE I am also in zone 8b .

I put all my mexican ping outside in mid may when the cold (frost and snow) are no longer to be feared I return them mid October mid November

JEFF

here in FRANCE I am also in zone 8b .

I put all my mexican ping outside in mid may when the cold (frost and snow) are no longer to be feared I return them mid October mid November

JEFF
T'es ou en France Jeff?
Je pense que je t'ai déjà demandé une fois mais je me rappelle plus

Bonjour

LE MANS

et toi tu es ou en Floride ? tu cultives quoi comme carnivore ou autres d'ailleurs ?

jeff

Last edited:
Bonjour

LE MANS

et toi tu es ou en Floride ? tu cultives quoi comme carnivore ou autres d'ailleurs ?

jeff

Je suis à Miami, j'ai un peut de tout, Sarracenia, Nepenthes, Pinguicula, Utricularia etc. Apart ça j'ai des orchidées - tous qui survivent dehors sans que je les touches et quelques Paph et miniatures
J'ai pris un petit séjour pour visiter ma famille en France (Toulouse) et je viens de recevoir quelques plantes ici et je me demandais si t'avais de l'expérience avec P. immaculata par chance, j'ai l'impression que c'est plus commun en Europe qu'au E.U. et je n'y trouve pas beaucoup d'info sur ce plante minuscule

Bonjour

voir MP

for immaculata see here ,actually in flower

IM2017.JPG

JEFF

Last edited:
Bonjour

voir MP

for immaculata see here ,actually in flower

IM2017.JPG

JEFF
Donc conditions normales pour les pinguicula mexicains? J'avais l'impression qu'ils aimaient des conditions différents
Merci et félicitations pour tes fleurs!

ce sont des gypsophiles , donc moi je les cultive dans gypse pur et sable de riviere 30/70

tu n'as pas vu mon message perso ?

jeff

Last edited:
I wonder what temperatures it receives and how much light? I have the opposite problem where most of my pings decided not to go dormant at all this winter, even though some started to go dormant in late summer. I always figured mine are still in the carnivorous phase because temperatures are higher but it's only my first year growing them and it's hard to tell what exactly is the cause. Conversely, P. esseriana has not flowered for me because it doesn't think it's winter whereas one I grew from pullings and gave to Ben, who has much cooler conditions, has already flowered. The highs in my grow space are around 70, lows about 55-60, at 65% RH, and it gets 10 hours of light.

Edit: Excellent immaculata, Jeff :)

Last edited:
Bonjour

here in FRANCE : dormancy from october to may , substrate slightly wet , dry for the filiform ; rainy season from may to october all my ping are outside

jeff

I came upon this forum rather late but wondered if you got things going again? I had a 'Sethos' x gypsicola that was a bit hesitant; even in early July in full south sun it was still in dormancy. A friend suggested I try watering it from above. I did that and it did the trick. Now I have it under lights (T5s, 6500K, 13 hrs winter and 17-18 hrs summer) and it is just now starting to produce summer growth. That said, I have a P. moranensis var. Mexicana that is just now going into winter growth, so there's often a bit of mystery with them. :)

df688091e2a532b9f98e85abdbf94d24.jpg

5e732bf3898d7d1111b6af2bf0599ee3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonjour

For my ping I am always close enough to their condition 'in situ' and I rarely have problems.

A ping that goes into dormancy right now whereas ' in situ ' they grow, is a problem of culture for me :scratch:

Bonjour

For my ping I am always close enough to their condition 'in situ' and I rarely have problems.

A ping that goes into dormancy right now whereas ' in situ ' they grow, is a problem of culture for me :scratch:

So what would you guess the reason might be? Most of my Pings are waking up; a few still in winter growth (it's still a bit cool here), but two moranensis types grew through the winter despite being kept on the dry side, shorter daylength and temperatures between 12 and 18-19 C. Most have responded to longer daylength and increased water/temps, even the one that didn't break dormancy till July last year. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonjour

It remains to dormancy or it returns to dormancy ?

Back