What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help butterwort pest ?

• Thread starter Kleon2
  • Start date
hi so I recently saw that my Mexican butterwort red leaf was becoming uprotted so I check and it lifted up by itself pretty easily but I was shocked I saw worms on the bottom of the leaves and on the roots they look gray worms with black insides help what is this ?

Fungus gnat larvae would be a pretty common type of wormy looking thing you might see especially if you are using a peaty medium.

remove the plant. dump the media, use less peat.

what other media could I use?

what other media could I use?

Mexican butterworts are not a fan of too much peat. I even recently had to repot my P. gigantea because even poorly washed inorganic media got too slimy with algae and was rotting some roots. I'd keep it in a heavy aggregate mix: 1:1 ratios of pumice/perlite, sand, lava rock, and vermiculite. Add a bit of lime if you want.

100% turface works and I've been told aquatic planting medium (API Pondcare brand) can be good too if turface is a pain to get a hold of, though haven't tried myself. Ben's mix is very nice but requires more individual components so turface is great for lazy bums like me.

Bonjour

you can use also a product against soil insects.

what specie this ping mexican red leaves ?

jeff

Back