What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. gigantea x moctezumae alkaline turface?

• Thread starter raycer491
  • Start date
Hey all,

I recently transplanted some of my P. gig x moc into a mix of peat and turface, a primarily alkaline mix. The plant was quite substantial so I also took a few pullings. However, less than a week later all the plants and pullings have completely browned up. I understood that the parent plants of this cross wouldn't be so adverse to the soil chemistry, what could be going wrong?

Pictures?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What are your conditions like? Temperature? Lighting? How much do you water? What kind of water do you use? Do you fertilize? What is the peat/turface ratio?

Bonjour

same question than HUNTSMANSHORN

Taken apart , these two species P.gigantea and P.moctezumae are clearly calcareous .

P.moctezumae Loves to have a wet substrate even in the winter (when they are dormant)

may be 2 tracks to watch :scratch:

jeff

I have no pictures, I threw out the plants before I considered contacting the forum. anything touching the soil surface was browning, especially parts that were below the surface like the roots or growth points of the plants.

temps in the 70s-80s, ambient humidity in the 50% range, indirect light from a t-8 setup, next to plenty of other very happy mexican pings which are all in flower. water level has evenly saturated the soil, plants are on the tray system with species like moranensis and gigantea. peat-turface ratio was more heavy on the turface than the peat; i honestly just threw together the portions I had available so I can't describe it in terms of parts.

no fertilizer and the water is less than 15 ppm dissolved solids. i do not use pesticides/herbicides, though I'd wonder if those have negative affects on pings/affect soil quality?

Bonjour

may be not the good substrate , too watered .

no Problem of frost, or hot stroke ?

jeff

Last edited:
hmm that makes lots of sense. nope, the environmental conditions are pretty consistently warm, but not too hot.

I'll try something with less moisture retention. Do you use peat or other organic additives?

Last edited:
Bonjour

for the 2 parents , gigantea and moctezumae I use no peat just a mineral substrat .

my substrate for all the calcareous ping , temperate , mexican , caraibes:

cat litter 50% with sometimes akadama
river sand 12.5%
calcareous sand 12.5%
pouzzolane 12.5%
vermiculite or perlite 12.5%

for gypsum species just gypsum/river sand 30/70

jeff

Back