What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tips for blooming P. zecheri?

• Thread starter madrone
  • Start date
The only ping in my small collection that I haven't managed to bloom (and have owned for > 12 months), is a P. zecheri. Any tips from those of you that grow and bloom this ping successfully? When does it typically bloom for you (during dormancy? during active carnivorous growth? time of year?)?

Does the foliage ever color up for you? From what I've read, I don't expect it to...but, the only things I can think of is that somehow this species requires more light for blooming. Or maybe more temp differentials, or watering/humidity drops during dormancy.

In my conditions, all sorts of other hybrids and species have flowered in the same tray - currently P. laueana and P. laueana x emarginata are happily pushing flowers, but this guy is being timid.

At the moment, this plant is in a south window. Temps are in the 80s to 60s. A little water is in the tray almost always. I think it could take a bit more light.
36452832482_11ee5bfeb0.jpg

Last summer this guy was outdoors and getting more light (although still not direct sunlight) - foliage stayed green, with an attractive darker stripe running mid-leaf.
35812557033_0c1f3e84be.jpg

Over the winter it did go into dormancy. It gets drier conditions over the winter - tray allowed to dry for a few days (or longer) between light waterings. And cooler temps - low 60s to high-mid fifties.

Year round humidity is probaby 50+ on average.

Happy to hear your thoughts!

I wish I had an answer for you. It sounds like you are doing the right things - lower photoperiod, drier conditions, cooler temps,... I have had the same issues with P. laueana. I get it to 'go dormant', and when it comes out of it, no flower.

I haven't got any flowers either. It does color up in the light. With high light it gets a purple tinge around the leaves for me on both carnivorous and succulent growth.

Thank you all for your input!

I wish I had an answer for you. It sounds like you are doing the right things - lower photoperiod, drier conditions, cooler temps,... I have had the same issues with P. laueana. I get it to 'go dormant', and when it comes out of it, no flower.

Thank you for your encouragement! Maybe some are just more finicky in our particular growing conditions. The challenge keeps us chasing those reluctant blooms?

I haven't got any flowers either. It does color up in the light. With high light it gets a purple tinge around the leaves for me on both carnivorous and succulent growth.

Wow! I've never seen color like that on my P. zecheri. Hmm...I may try a little more light.

Thank you for this info - it looks like my conditions are not terribly far off. I did think it was funny that the information in the second link said "Flowering period: Not yet observed". :-)) I know how that feels!

Since my plant split this spring, I might divide and try one in more extreme conditions to see what happens next year. Wish me luck...

Last edited:
On the RIVADAVIA document, you see 7-9 July for the 'in situ' bloom period.

Ex situ, it is difficult to give a period, it depends on their culture condition.

On what I have observed for many years, the flowering periods are in the first moments of their dormancy that is to say August ,September,October here in Europe

jeff

Last edited:
On the RIVADAVIA document, you see 7-9 July for the 'in situ' bloom period.

Ex situ, it is difficult to give a period, it depends on their culture condition.

On what I have observed for many years, the flowering periods are in the first moments of their dormancy that is to say August ,September,October here in Europe

jeff

Ah - ok. Mine is still in very active carnivorous growth. I understand that my results or patterns may differ from yours (due to cultural conditions), but I'll see what happens this fall. Merci.

Back