What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. jaumavensis v. P. esseriana

• Thread starter madrone
  • Start date
P. jaumavensis is new to me - just got my plant a few months ago. Before purchasing the plant, I was wondering if I had the space for something that looked to me (from web image searches) to be so similar to the P. esseriana I already owned. Well, on the space-front, it's about as diminutive as P. esseriana, but the blooms were a nice surprise. Similar to the esseriana, but with some attractive purple "veination" in the flower.

To anybody who owns both plants already, this is not news. But, for new ping-people, I hope this comparison is helpful/interesting:

25804590448_c047e057d1.jpg

Bonjour

I have some doubts about the identity of your jaumavensis, may be a hybrids .

difference between the 2 :

essjaum.jpg

but maybe I'm wrong ,do you have a good traceability of this taxon

jeff

Bonjour

I have some doubts about the identity of your jaumavensis, may be a hybrids .

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments. Can you explain a bit more why you think my jaumavensis is a hybrid?

Hybrid or not that is a stunning little flower and plant and may have to be added to my collection.

Bonjour

the corolla form ; the drawing to the throat and to the "tab" of the lobes , for me do not correspond to the taxon.

I think to esseriana X ? - or x 'Florian' x ?

but maybe I'm wrong ,do you have a good traceability of this taxon

jeff

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the further clarification. I've looked at your picture more and I think I see the differences you are pointing out. It does appear that P. jaumavensis has sub-species/varieties with differing flower characteristics including different petal shapes and markings.

You may very well be correct. I don't have a way to know for sure, but appreciate your insights.

Hybrid or not that is a stunning little flower and plant and may have to be added to my collection.

Glad you like it. It's definitely a compact grower with a cheery bloom at this time of year.

Back