What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this little guy appear to be in dormant phase?

• Thread starter DragonsEye
  • Start date

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
P. esseriana

Ping esseriana.jpg

Looks like it to me though I'm not 100% sure. Oddly enough, the other Mex pings sharing the tray with are still in carnivorous mode.

Bonjour

the leaves are succulent without mucilage?

jeff

Difficult to tell, Jeff. I think I see some hairs with mucilage on them but the leaves are also very thick. Can't find my magnifying glass currently.

Last edited:
A matter of verbiage but no it is not dormant (Mexican Pinguicula don't go dormant). It does appear to be in the winter succulent growth though, which I'm sure is what you meant.
GOOD looking plant!
Andrew

Someone else who understands what I've been getting at in other threads...
But yes, your plant is entering the winter phase. P. esseriana tends to be extremely "fragile" in this stage too, all the succulent leaves will easily pop off and eventually form new plants.

Bonjour

In Mexico there are 2 well-marked seasons, a rainy season from June to October and a dry season from November to May.Not really winter as it is for example in europe or north america

the ping during the dry season become dormant (not to protect themselves from the cold but from the drought) they live then on their reserve either by becoming succulent, arachnoides or in the form of onion.

their leaves have no more mucilage so no opportunity to take insects nor to dig them, it then live in slow motion or this word dormancy.

JEFF

So would this be the time to take pullings?

it then live in slow motion or this word dormancy

I guess this is the part that makes me not want to call it a dormancy. Sure there are some Pinguicula that form winter buds and such, but when speaking of plants that transition to a succulent rosette, in my experience they do not slow down or stop growing. They seem to grow just as fast and vigorously as when they're in their carnivorous form. I would almost say they grow more (although smaller) leaves but I've never actually taken the time to count them or anything I'm just going by how I feel.
Andrew

I'm new to ping but I would have to agree. The few that I have that have gone into there succulent faze have come close to doubling is size.

So would this be the time to take pullings?

Yes! Some Pinguicula I take cuttings from whenever, but the winter stage leaf pulls tend to do better, and in some instances is the only way (I believe) to go IE P. gypsicola.

Bonjour

I agree with you that the plant does not stop growing, the mucilage leaves are forced to be replaced by succulent leaves but I have never seen ping succulent dormant have a size equivalent to a ping in normal growth.

it is particularly visible for example on gigantea that passes at home from a normal leaf of 25 cm to 10 cm in succulent leaf

in succulent dormancy the plants live on the reserve that they have accumulated in their leaf without more.

for all succulent dormant plants it is time to make leaf cuttings.In fact, the more succulent the leaf is, the greater the chance of success because of their reserves.
for the ping onion like P.heterophylla the method is a bit the same but with a scale of the onion it works very well.

JEFF

I agree and said in a prior post that plants shrink in size, but seem to have more leaves. And with the definition of dormant including cessation of growth or temporarily inactive, I just have a hard time putting that label on a plant that puts out so much growth.

Worry about them entering succulent phase as I don't always succeed in having the emerge from that stage back to carn phase.

Bonjour

all my mexican are actually in succulent dormancy phase , very dry for some one just slightly wet for the others to avoid desiccation .

I begin to wake them in April by watering them a little by capillarite, then in mid May I take them outside, as the leaves with mucilage appear I water by capillarite (in mexico this corresponds to the period of the rains)

jeff

Yes i remember my first gypsicola, received already in winter growth in August. It stayed that way till late April of the next year, but it more than doubled in size. Pullings I took in early spring (and were growing as tiny plants) are now “dormant” but some are as big as the original was, and it’s only January. So while the size of winter is small compared to summer growth, there’s a lot of energy being stored up in those winter rosettes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back