What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Red Flowered Ping Hybrid?

• Thread starter GemStateC
  • Start date
One of my ping hybrids is creating a red flower! It's not the crimson red of laueana but it's as close as I've seen yet. The flowers start out red and then mature to light red, maybe even pinkish. At the very least, it's the first ping hybrid that I've seen that has a true red color around the center of the flower. I've achieved light peach and orange/pink flowers but this is much closer to a true red flower. Has anyone else had luck with getting a red or reddish hybrid?

IMG_7171 by Gem StateC, on Flickr
IMG_7169 by Gem StateC, on Flickr
IMG_7174 by Gem StateC, on Flickr
IMG_7173 by Gem StateC, on Flickr
IMG_7175 by Gem StateC, on Flickr

What's the cross? P. laueana, and maybe bissei and caryophyllacea are the only species that carry a truly red color and it rarely bleeds through quite so in hybrids, so this is certainly the first one I've seen.

what are his parents ?

I think it is a P.laueana or one of these hybrids or cultivar see here http://cpphotofinder.com/Pinguicula.html

jeff

It's an F2 hybrid between P. laueana and another species. First crosses of laueana are always purple in my experience but if you cross the F1 offspring, you get segregation of the traits. I find it interesting that the red color is still difficult to achieve; although, i have read that laueana x laueana crosses can sometimes yield orange flowers. I need to test that but i haven't had luck in getting seed when cross pollinating my different laueana clones but i need to try again. Maybe there is more than a single gene responsible for the red color or maybe it's all about gene expression.

Color in a flower is rarely controlled by a single gene (save in those where it's literally a switch between having anthocyanin and not, in which case it's dominant-recessive), and with the number of color pigments and variants in Pinguicula flowers it's little surprise that red is not such an easy out answer. Do you know what the other parent species is? From the leaves and what little pattern I can see still in the flower I'd want to hazard a guess at emarginata, which might also explain how red was managed in an F2, since that species doesn't have much pigment expression across its flowers in many common clones and laueana would more easily express its production.

Bonjour

may be a laueana x rectifolia ?

do you know the species of laueana that was used ?

see here 'in situ' http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pinguicula_2/Pages/Postcard_14_4.htm already a lot of differences in shapes and colors

You're a good guesser Jeff. It took about 4 years in total to make the first cross and then the second cross. I wonder if anyone has had success making an even more complex hybrid. The laueana I used didn't come with any background information but it was just a typical bright red flowered plant. I'm definitely going to try crossing the three different clones of laueana I have to see if i can make some interesting plants. It would be really nice to get different shades of orange color.

Bonjour

you know the hybrids is not my cup of tea ,I prefer everything that is taxon :jester:

on cpphotofinger may be 12 cultivar with different colour as much in hybrid , have you seen ?

Back