What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula martinezii

• Thread starter fredg
  • Start date
Excellent shots, mate!

How dry do they like to be during "dormancy"? Mine is small, but healthy, currently fully carnivorous, but I haven't had it long enough to see a dormancy.

Here he is with some gypsicola:
1ZLTar3.jpg

How dry do they like to be during "dormancy"? ]

I keep them damp like a standard house plant over winter.

Mine are outside in an unheated , well ventilated greenhouse and they're pretty hardy.

Plants pictured December 26th 2017.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PVQytlZqbKPPjVzw8KuxNSs6tuNER_zrN79AI8GlSbuT2vqltErodIZO9OwxzlCwq9TTOfO_xUJ5dwekADDzcG2JPiQaqUVfGv5Y-9oMgBCXuDi-nqiyC2PA937h1j9iLh0oSpP_IQ=w2400

Ambient temperatures were fairly mild in general last winter (1C - 33.8F) but there were a couple of spells where it dropped to -7C (19.4F). Less hardy plants managed the first spell (the beast from the east) but the return did instigate a decline in some.

Last edited:
Bonjour

for the filiforme : gypsicola - medusinae - heterophylla completely dry

for the others slightly wet no more (especially if you have added peat to your mineral substrate)

always in a very bright room (no direct sun) here to LE MANS with an average temperature of 12 ° c always higher than 5 ° c

the dormancy in fact for the Mexican species it is the passage of the dry season (contrary to the temperate which for them is the passage of the winter) Season dry from November to May; Rainy seasons from (April-May) June to October.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Currently my only fear is that the gypsicola will want it even drier than the martinezzi

My P. gypsicola sits in the same tray as the P. martinezii. :angel:

Bonjour

gypsicola is a gypsum filiforme specie , martinezii limestone and gypsum specie in a arid to semi-arid climat , then with a same substrate no problem

peat on these specie can be nefaste , often calcareous species (not just carnivores elsewhere) do not tolerate or little, this type of substrate.

peat is a water retender, if the collar of these plants or even their dormant form are still wet, strong chance of rot.

see here my gypsicola actually in flower ( top left) this other filiform is a moctezumae

2018 ping.jpg

Last edited:
Bonjour

gypsicola is a gypsum filiforme specie , martinezii limestone and gypsum specie in a arid to semi-arid climat , then with a same substrate no problem

peat on these specie can be nefaste , often calcareous species (not just carnivores elsewhere) do not tolerate or little, this type of substrate.

peat is a water retender, if the collar of these plants or even their dormant form are still wet, strong chance of rot.

see here my gypsicola actually in flower ( top left) this other filiform is a moctezumae

Very nice plants Jeff! Thanks for sharing. I have repotted all of my Pings into a mix with almost zero peat over the last few months (sometimes I used maybe 5% peat to help the soil stick together), with the exception of 'sp. Alfred Lau #13' (based on some forum post I read about it leaking some peat in the mix, so he is in 1/3 peat)

for this 2 species I use no peat just a mineral substrate .

for gypsicola just pure gypsum with river sand 50/50

for martinezii my usual substrate for all my calcareous ping (mexican-temperate)

what mix use you ?

Last edited:
for this 2 species I use no peat just a mineral substrate .

for gypsicola just pure gypsum with river sand 50/50

for martinezii my usual substrate for all my calcareous ping (mexican-temperate)

what mix use you ?

These two are in my "general Pinguicula Mix" which is (approximately, I never measure) 45% Turface (technically I use an alternative product, but it is basically Turface, which is Calcined Clay) 25% perlite, 25% sand, 5% peat. Sometimes I replace 5-10% of the perlite and turface with "gran-i-grit" when I have it (which is just insoluble granite) but it is expensive (whereas turface and sand are dirt cheap!) so I have been leaving it out lately. I have also been adding some of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003STB5N6/ to 50% of my recent mixes. I have used it in my vegetable garden with great success, but have yet to notice any results with my Pings.

I have trouble finding gypsum locally, so I have never tried it!

Bonjour

have you tried cat litter non-agglomerating and unscented,instead of TURFACE ?

Bonjour

have you tried cat litter non-agglomerating and unscented,instead of TURFACE ?

I have not. I am unsure what brand sold in the USA is similar to the brand you Europeans use. But from what I hear, turface is extremely similar, and the alternative that I buy is extremely cheap (~5$ for a bag that is bigger than my torso)

Back