What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not emarginata?

• Thread starter MPX_78
  • Start date
About two months ago, I ordered a Pinguicula Emarginata. It has been growing well and has flowered already, however, Hcarlton printed out that it is clearly not an emarginata, since it does not have the ridged flowers like a real emarginata does. I agree. Here is the flower, another flower is on the way so I will post that one soon.
rX2LutE.jpg

the plant
tq8M8lI.jpg

Would like to know the real identity, thank you!

Where did you order it from? There is more than one form, but offhand with those rounded petals, this looks like an emarginata hybrid rather than pure emarginata. How wide is the flower? I’m attaching a photo of mine for comparison.
11aa65d2327f4fb035df47f7fb80b902.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased it from Sarracenia Northwest. I agree that it is a related hybrid but am not very knowledgeable on the various other species of butterwort. Here are a picture for size and the flower that just opened today. That other one was a bit old and faded, so this one will show more fresh coloration.
hPHb1Uf.jpg

hSkF0Oo.jpg

can we see the corolla in face ?

this actually looks like a hybrid, emarginata is one of the most hybridized species.

emarg.JPG

Attachments

• emarginata.JPG
    emarginata.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
There are so many species and different forms of some species like moranensis that it will probably be very difficult to say with certainty what it is. Cute plant though!

Though judging from the flower shape and especially the colored zone around the edges I might suspect a hybrid with some round flowered one like agnata or ibarrae. Depending on how old the plant is, the final size could also be a clue eventually.

can we see the corolla in face ? maybe we can have a more precise idea:scratch:

jeff

Last edited:
Thank you to the others who have replied, I found this photo from a week or two ago. It's flowering again so I will get a sharper photo either later today or later in the week. What other species develop similar coloration and leaf shapes?
Cr1KhvCl.jpg

Thank you to the others who have replied, I found this photo from a week or two ago. It's flowering again so I will get a sharper photo either later today or later in the week. What other species develop similar coloration and leaf shapes?
Cr1KhvCl.jpg

That appears to be a hybrid with emarginata and agnata. I'd ask Jacob at SNW to confirm. There aren't really any ibarrae/pilosa hybrids out there.

I was going to say the same thing when I saw the flower on the other thread first. There are many forms of the agnata x emarginata cross too, some with more pattern and ragged edges in the flowers and others more like this.

Bonjour

hard to say ,may be P. agnata "ekuma" x emarginata but your specie does not have a very marked pattern on petals .

may be allowed time, after opening, to have its true final colors:scratch:

Last edited:
Back