What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pings on Rocks

Who doesn’t like pings on rocks???

The last photo is number coded with what is what in case people want to know what I’m growing on the pumice itself. The ehlersiae has moved though because it was getting covered by the Sethos.

974100be8531813c17df7c903b1f9d0b.jpg
5f00c2acfb9cc32a776e45f550666015.jpg
49f9ed3c33ac740ef8f32b8348db5db4.jpg
9836bbd45b04de6227fb28e137a17322.jpg
f64939974e640c9db40ac4f9c9d4992b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some wonderful displays. ANPA flowers are some of the best for sure.

Incredible. I’ve always wondered how you water these setups.

Really looking great! :D

What was the age and condition of the Pings when you first set them up on these rocks?

What was the process to get them comfortable on the pumice and the soil medium set up?

Incredible. I’ve always wondered how you water these setups.

It is quite simple as the pumice in its own acts as a wick/Sponge and absorbs a substantial amount of water just sitting in an inch or so alone. I allow its saucer/tray to dry for a couple of days between waterings to prevent algae growth.

0aa988defc009baa5df3f8c4fea77d38.jpg

Really looking great! :D

What was the age and condition of the Pings when you first set them up on these rocks?

What was the process to get them comfortable on the pumice and the soil medium set up?

Most of the pings were placed as adults or sub adult plants however the majority of the really small esseriana were started by leaf pullings places in holes/crevices on the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry also, there really was no process to the change to growing on the pumice vs media. These plants are natural lithophytes in their habitats (for the most part) and grow on rocks/rocky substrate or in the crevices between. Sometimes it may be necessary to gouge a small portion of the pumice or tufa stone to place your plant a little more securely, but otherwise I and a few others firmly have come to believe that this is the way these plants should be grown.

Thanks for the replies! Looks awesome!

Bonjour

very good system for small quantity and most of the mexican, the problem is the place, during big collection.

for my part I prefer, the pot with adequate substrate (mineral limestone or gypsum).

for my temperees that stays out all year, I made a similar system that reproduces a small cliff(limestone riprap) see here

http://pinguicula.free.fr/instal2016.JPG

that's what it gives

http://pinguicula.free.fr/20185.JPG

jeff

Back