Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reversing Ping's Season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reversing Ping's Season

I recently got some Pings and the original grower had their seasons reversed and I would like to get them back on track with the proper seasons. My question is simply about watering them. From my understanding you want to keep them just barely damp in their succulent stage and when they start to produce their carnivorous leafs again you increase the watering/overhead watering. Since mine are currently in their succulent stage what will be their cue to start their carnivorous leafs again? If I start keeping them in some water won't I run the risk of rotting them since they're in succulent? Should I keep on the dry side until they start to get cues from the windowsill they're on?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave them dry until they decide to wake up on their own, perhaps giving a spritz of water every now and then. If you're in Florida, by the way, and they're succulent now, then they're in the correct season; this is winter, and they're supposed to be in the succulent phase at this time of year. They could start changing now, or in a few months.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

what substrate ( river sand /peat)?

you must, in fact, pay attention to watering when there is peat, especially when it is dormant.

the dormancy finished in May, so you can at the end of April at the beginning of May start watering again, but parsimoniously, I would say every 15 days ,leaving a dry period between 2

if you have the possibility , goes outside, in the shade, sheltered from the rain (to avoid leaching and the rotting) from mid-May to mid-October
    Last edited by jeff 2; 03-03-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in northern Florida. Only cause for my concern is that everything else that's outside is already waking up. How obvious is the carnivorous leafs from the succulents? I've seen some pictures but it seems hard to tell, hopefully they'll stick out.

Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Leave them dry until they decide to wake up on their own, perhaps giving a spritz of water every now and then. If you're in Florida, by the way, and they're succulent now, then they're in the correct season; this is winter, and they're supposed to be in the succulent phase at this time of year. They could start changing now, or in a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Substrate is a mix 1:1 mix of peat, perlite, pumice, and sand. Thanks for the timeline idea of when to start watering! These things sure like it seriously dry. It's kind of hard to get that imprinted in my head since everything else we grow likes a constant wet or damp substrate..

Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    Bonjour

what substrate ( river sand /peat)?

you must, in fact, pay attention to watering when there is peat, especially when it is dormant.

the dormancy finished in May, so you can at the end of April at the beginning of May start watering again, but parsimoniously, I would say every 15 days ,leaving a dry period between 2

if you have the possibility , goes outside, in the shade, sheltered from the rain (to avoid leaching and the rotting) from mid-May to mid-October

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a heterophyllous species (those that have a distinct winter phase and need dry soils) the difference is very hard to miss. Summer leaves are larger, have glands (and not hairs) and generally a very different shape, possibly color.
    Do not base judgments on what these plants want by everything else waking up. They have a different seasonal cycle than temperate plants do.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

in fact a leaf is normal (non-succulent) when to the touch it is slimy

in mexico the dry season is from october to may (10-21c) the rainy season from may to october(21-27c)

keep his Mexican ping still above 5c
    Last edited by jeff 2; 03-05-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything seems to be going well, got some new growth from all of them. I'm watering slightly every two weeks to encourage them to wake up. I'm still unsure if they're producing carnivorous leafs or still succulents. I've been looking for some pictures of each species to compare but even succulent pictures I find online look different.

https://imgur.com/a/MOsJuFH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast