What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Ping

• Thread starter ShoalCreek
  • Start date
I bought this as P mexicana which is not a valid name. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
dd66e1430e1a5353115f2b1074463b50.jpg

3b7d3cb42f7d74bd64cf5ca91e7d2e2c.jpg
b251139bd6c8eb5dd413f7b420ef8838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a moranensis but was first considered a species. Like others such as ‘caudata’, it’s sometimes referred to as “moranensis var. mexicana” or just “moranensis mexicana.” I’m not sure how valid these names are according to the rules of nomenclature (any more than “moranensis J” or “moranensis ANPA C,”) but at least it lets us know which of the billion or so moransis clones in cultivation we are talking about. :)

Bonjour

could we see the corolla from the front ?

this 'mexicana' seems to be part of the moranensis complex ,as Bob says, like many others :scratch:

surely a species from horticultural practice so actually write simply : moranensis 'Mexicana'

jeff

Last edited:
It’s a moranensis but was first considered a species. Like others such as ‘caudata’, it’s sometimes referred to as “moranensis var. mexicana” or just “moranensis mexicana.” I’m not sure how valid these names are according to the rules of nomenclature (any more than “moranensis J” or “moranensis ANPA C,”) but at least it lets us know which of the billion or so moransis clones in cultivation we are talking about. :)

Thanks very much!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bonjour

could we see the corolla from the front ?

this 'mexicana' seems to be part of the moranensis complex ,as Bob says, like many others :scratch:

surely a species from horticultural practice so actually write simply : moranensis 'Mexicana'

jeff

Hi Jeff-
Sorry the picture isn’t
9f21b1339d4cd66d111aca7a3d9b935e.jpg
the best. What are you looking for, with an additional picture?
Best regards, Lisa

Bonjour

could we see more closely the throat ?

you are sure of identification ?

it rosette is always green ?

Last edited:
I have ‘Mexicana’ though it hasn’t bloomed for me. It’s in winter phase now and looks like this:
58ddb1b2fdc3b60bfe28d73e0356981c.jpg

But can’t say if it wouldn’t go green if it were under different light. The pointed winter leaves on yours do look quite different. What is the source of the plant? In any case, one of the fun/annoying things about Pings is how different they can grow under differing conditions!

Last edited:
Very nice flower on that!

The pointed winter leaves on yours do look quite different. What is the source of the plant? In any case, one of the fun/annoying things about Pings is how different they can grow under differing conditions!

I usually record where I buy a plant - but in this case I didn't. I checked Google images when moranensis was suggested and I found a match from vendors California Carnivores and Carnivorous Plant Nursery, both places I shop. So, this ID sounds promising.

I am a bit concerned about the fact a couple of the Mexican Pings are out of dormancy already. Yesterday I repotted and found why. Almost all are potted in Turface. 2 that are out of dormancy had moss roots absorbing moisture. Another 2 were planted in LFS. I always keep the pots in 1 cm of water or a lower level.

I think I should amend the mix with something to make it alkaline.

Since I'm using Turface, I don't really have a problem with algae, moss or fungus gnats.

On growing conditions, these are in a southern exposure bay window. They receive a lot of light right now. 60F at night and 75F during the day. ~45% humidity.
In the summer, I am not sure these will get enough light when an oak tree leafs out. I might move and slowly acclimate to the greenhouse for the summer.

I have always done poorly with Pings. These have finally survived their first year with me. I have read enough now that I will at least I might isolate where I have failed. Interesting to read that they do not like high humidity in the winter. Perhaps that was an issue in the past. I've previously kept them in the GH, and because it's sealed from the cold - it's ~80-90% humidity during the winter.

Thanks again for the help!

Best regards, Lisa

Bonjour

I still have some doubt about the identification, but I may be wrong :scratch:

In the summer, I am not sure these will get enough light when an oak tree leafs out. I might move and slowly acclimate to the greenhouse for the summer

for me I seems it is a good place for your ping in summer

Last edited:
Back