Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help

Hey all,

At the start of Spring most of my Pings were looking great and I was finally seeing some carnivorous growth from most of them expect my Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora. At first, it seemed the Cyclosecta broke dormancy and then rebounded back into it. The Rotundiflora on the other hand seems to have never made a move since I've owned it. What's puzzling me is that every other Ping in the exact same windowsill is doing great. Growing conditions are west windowsill, 69F-78F, ~60% humidity, standing water until tray is completely dried and then refilled, soil mix of sand, perlite, pumice, and a small amount of peat. I'm thinking that perhaps I'm letting the pots dry out to much and it's causing the Cyclosecta to go dormant again? As for the Rotundilfora since it hasn't made any growth since I've owned it I'm at a loss for it. I've also attached some pictures to show how all my other ones are doing just fine. The pictures that show a healthy Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora are from March and the dormant photos of them were taken today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-61135816_2365685086786642_2647516561077698560_n-jpg   Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-61162001_2365685240119960_7845080322482896896_n-jpg  

Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-61547810_2365685113453306_7868048909933740032_o-jpg   Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-61772679_2365685196786631_7670675882574348288_n-jpg  

Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-61076328_2365686803453137_5232709049291636736_n-jpg   Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-61197862_2365686953453122_6018450827646074880_n-jpg  

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

these 2 species grow 'in situ' on limestone cliff , for rotundiflora even on gypsum .
    I do not see a lot of these substrates in yours.
    may be if it is possible passes on a window ledge to the east,with morning sun.
    your substrate are always wet , now ?
    but do not worry, normally, if you practice dormancy, they have just woken up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    Bonjour

these 2 species grow 'in situ' on limestone cliff , for rotundiflora even on gypsum .
    I do not see a lot of these substrates in yours.
    may be if it is possible passes on a window ledge to the east,with morning sun.
    your substrate are always wet , now ?
    but do not worry, normally, if you practice dormancy, they have just woken up
    Sadly, no I do not have any east windows in my apartment. Substrate is wet but the tray gets to dry out before I fill it again, maybe I should stop letting it dry out before I fill it up again? They did go dormant once I planted them in March so hopefully they’re just slow to the start.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cyclosecta at least, which I have more experience with, clay media should not at all be necessary, Mine do great even in an acidic media. In the first photo, the cyclosecta does not actually look very good to me, looks like it was suffering from low light. However, in the second photo, it looks great, just dormant. I wouldn't worry about that, I've had cyclosecta sometimes randomly enter dormancy but this isn't a sign of anything going wrong. As for the rotundiflora, I found mine was doing poorly under strong lighting. I have heard it is not a high-light Pinguicula so I might try moving it somewhere a little shadier. Then again, I've also seen photos of very healthy, colorful rotundiflora, but perhaps it just colors up more easily than most Pinguicula. Currently my rotundiflora is just in some sphagnum moss where I'm growing an epiphytic Ping. I'm sure it doesn't care for that much, but I was too lazy to put it anywhere else, but it's alive at least, but has been dormant for almost a year and a half, haha.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

in a calcareous substrate for cyclosecta
    Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-cyclosecta1-jpg
    in gypsum substrate for rotundiflora
    Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-rot2-jpeg

for me your ping are always in dormancy , wait for their wake up
    Last edited by jeff 2; 05-28-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one in a mix of 1:1:1:1 Peat sand pumice perlite, and one growing on a piece of pumice rock. Not much difference really. Give them sufficient light and water when they want it, and they’ll grow. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    For cyclosecta at least, which I have more experience with, clay media should not at all be necessary, Mine do great even in an acidic media. In the first photo, the cyclosecta does not actually look very good to me, looks like it was suffering from low light. However, in the second photo, it looks great, just dormant. I wouldn't worry about that, I've had cyclosecta sometimes randomly enter dormancy but this isn't a sign of anything going wrong. As for the rotundiflora, I found mine was doing poorly under strong lighting. I have heard it is not a high-light Pinguicula so I might try moving it somewhere a little shadier. Then again, I've also seen photos of very healthy, colorful rotundiflora, but perhaps it just colors up more easily than most Pinguicula. Currently my rotundiflora is just in some sphagnum moss where I'm growing an epiphytic Ping. I'm sure it doesn't care for that much, but I was too lazy to put it anywhere else, but it's alive at least, but has been dormant for almost a year and a half, haha.
    The picture of it colored up is the same day I got it and potted it up but they were stuck in transit for an extra two days. I'm not sure about the moving it to a shadier spot. As of now that windowsill is only getting about 6 hours of afternoon sun. But if you think the dormant picture (with no color) is looking better than I'm not to worried!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    Bonjour

in a calcareous substrate for cyclosecta
    Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-cyclosecta1-jpg
    in gypsum substrate for rotundiflora
    Cyclosecta and Rotundiflora Help-rot2-jpeg

for me your ping are always in dormancy , wait for their wake up
    Yours look great! I understand they're all different species but it's strange to me how far behind these two are compared to the others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast