What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few nice hybrids.

• Thread starter Bob Beer
  • Start date
Just a few new hybrids I’m liking these days. Huge flowers, nice colors, hooked spurs! :)

7fce39cb9342ca451eb29d86347aa584.jpg
54817c52310b2eed66c67ec7803a7ab0.jpg
6850e7def575b7bd6b6c7bd670576677.jpg
d4d23f92abf69bd53b44eca90b26ba49.jpg
a16b981bf19d2418b2621f88a8cf5d1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first purple colors are beautiful. And the third one just look lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

'Really nice, Bob. While I like the flowers the plant in the third photo is my fave. What is it?

'Really nice, Bob. While I like the flowers the plant in the third photo is my fave. What is it?

I wish I knew! It was a random seedling that came up on a pumice planter, and it sat as a tiny dormant plant for almost 2 years during a period when things got a bit messed up because of too-warm temperatures. I moved last May into a place with better ventilation and it finally took off. Now I’m waiting for a bloom. I’m already propagating it and want to name it. Candidates include ‘Chocolate Mint,’ ‘Chocolate Dip,’ ‘Pooper Scooper’ and ‘Hell’s Lotus’. :)

'Glad to hear it is on the way to cultivar status. While there has been a bit of a backlash to cultivars that have been registered that some didn't feel were worthy of it I often wonder what is out there that would've been wonderful but the developers didn't want to face the possible criticism. I suspect excellent plants are often lost to posterity this way. THIS plant is very obviously worthy of cultivar status.

'Glad to hear it is on the way to cultivar status. While there has been a bit of a backlash to cultivars that have been registered that some didn't feel were worthy of it I often wonder what is out there that would've been wonderful but the developers didn't want to face the possible criticism. I suspect excellent plants are often lost to posterity this way. THIS plant is very obviously worthy of cultivar status.

Not only that; but when you make a good cross, there can be so much variation, especially if you have a fertile hybrid and back cross it to one of the parents. The wine red one that’s slightly blurry (Sorry) is a hybrid of laueana x (laueana x moranensis Vera Paz). It’s the darkest of 30 plants; one is nearly as dark, while most are somewhere between it and all green. Some of those “in-betweens” could be nice plants...but am I going to have space to raise a good number to flowering size and see what they really will be? Probably not...

Back