What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula esseriana

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
ping_button.jpg

Cute esseriana! Here's a pic of mine, it has its winter leaves now.

esseriana.jpg

esseriana_moviestar.jpg

Nice plant "wickedthistle". I can just make out some outside edges of summer leaves on your plant.

Mine get like this pink color on their upper leaf surfaces when I put them closer to the lights:

pesseriana_b1.jpg

SWEET! I've got to try that come springtime. Right now, mine's growing in the windowsill. As my neps outgrow the tiny 10 gal terrarium I have them in, I'm putting in the pings and droserae.
smile.gif

hey pingman,
how do you care for P. esseriana in the winter? (sp) do you let it dry out, or keep it wet year-round? I have confirmed, at a BACPS meeting, that My "unknown ping" is P. esseriana.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Oh yeah, and how do you get them to have so many leaves?!?
Mine only have like ten :/
confused.gif

In the winter, P.esseriana("dormant") forms numerous small succulent leaves.

I grow them close to multiple cool-white fluorescent lights, 20 hour photoperiod, and always in trays of water --- 24/7/365. They go in and out of their different leaf phases, seemingly on their own schedule, but usually almost in sync with each other and most of the other tropical pings.

Since they originate nearer to the equator than where I am, I can't see how their seasonal light/photoperiod would change as much as most of ours does here, above or beneath the equator, either in the Northern or Southern hemispheres.

P.esseriana is naturally located closer to the States than to the equator. Their seasonal photoperiod should fluctuate quite a bit, although probably not as much as the seasonal photoperiod in the States.

Thanks CP2K, I appreciate the detailed info.

How are you able to get the details like that?

I sure would be able to find out more about where these little gems come from.

PinguiculaMan, your plant photos are just too good. If I keep seeing them I'm going to want every Sundew and Butterwart on the planet. LOL

Hi PinguiculaMan,

Have you checked out this website: World of Pinguicula

Last year, Alfred Lau came to the LACPS meeting and gave a wonderful presentation on Mexican pings and their habitat/locations.

Darcie,
Thanks for the encouragement.

CP2K,
Thanks for the site info. Very nice site.

Well, my esseriana finally flowered. I accidentally replaced the old pic from my site with a same-named file, but anyhow, you can see the pics of the flowers above.

Very nice plant and the flower is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing it.

Back