What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I live in Singapore, so it's tropical weather all year round. I just can't seem to stop my P x weser (looks more like a sethos now that it's flowered) alive. I had one die about 2 weeks ago. I split the remaining one into 5 pings and placed them under shade, repotted them in a equal mix of sand, peat, perlite and vermiculite. I left them in very shallow trays.

They survived fairly well for 2 weeks and the mother plant even put out 2 flowers. Then, yesterday, one of the smaller ones had mould on its centre and broke apart. Today, I felt the leaves of the mother plant and another plant. The leaves were flimsy and could easily be detached from the centre. I fear the worse, cos this was exactly the case with my first Ping.

I don't understand why this is happening. I took care not to allow the medium to become too wet, which is the reason why (I suspect) my first Ping died. It has been raining everyday here for the past week but the Pings are under shade and the rain never touches them.

Any ideas?

keep any remaining plants DRY as possible. Only water by pouring a little water around the base of the plant when the soil looks dry. It seems to by too humid for the ping, and that the fungus is thriving.

I noticed that the pings need very open medium. Like I mentioned before, my plant is doing very well with its roots in a little live sphagnum, which is on top of some perlite. I pour water into the perlite and the sphagnum absorbs water from there.

I have two younger plants repotted into LFS (from Horti) and they are doing well. They sit on top of a small LFS mould and their roots can be seen sticking out. No problem so far 'cos our humidity is high enough.

You may want to use captan on your remaining leaves. And keep them drier. Seems that you have a resident fungus that the ping is fighting against.

Don't give up on it. I killed a few before I found what was suitable for my windowsill. If you leave it in the open, then the fluctuation of humidity is greater. And it's very humid when it rains. I agree with ceph88, keep it as dry as possible.

Thanks for all the replies. For the remaining 2 pings, I've repotted them in a mix of sand, vermiculite, perlite and peat, without a layer of LFS at the bottom. For those which died, I had a layer of LFS at the bottom of the pot to prevent loss of medium, but I think it absorbed too much water instead and I lost the Ping instead.
sad.gif

My Mexican Pings purchased since May are 4" potted in vermiculite/perlite/peat 3:2:1 mixed in 0.5~1 cm water tray, place in a balcony with direct sun till noon, all are doing well.

P. cyclosectas flowering, P. Wesers start to flower, P. laueanas and emarginataXcyclosectas are turning red.

I also have a community tray of Mexican Ping mix that was placed away from direct sun was not doing well until I moved them to same balcony.

So basically this is my equation: open mineral mix, moist (not wet&#33
wink.gif
), hot and ½ day direct sun = beautiful Mex Ping.  

Happy growing

the book "carnivorous plants of the world" says that you can put small pebbles or washed coarshed sand in the center and around the crown to prevent rotting...it said that the pebbles will keep the crown dry

Back