What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping Pod

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi

My p. ionantha put up two flower scapes and bloomed. Very long lasting flowers and pretty. The flowers have since died, dried up and fallen off naturally. I don't see anything that looks like a seed pod. Sooo my questions is...(having never seen one before)...did mine just not produce any seed? The flower stalks are still on the plant terminating in just the green sepals. Thats all I see. I guess in my convoluted way I'm asking what do ping flower capsules look like? I will be sad if it didn't make any seed. :-(

Suzanne

hmm...i dont think u got any seeds this time..sorrie. A pod looks like a round grey ball in the middle where the flower hole use to be.

ahhhh shoot! There is nothing there like that. :-( I guess I can cut the stalks off then. I wonder why it didn't make seed.....

suzanne

You'd have to pollinate it yourself. Only lusitanica and villosa self-pollinate. Unless you're a hummingbird
wink.gif
, you can follow this quote from D'Amato, as he explains it better than I could:

"When you closely examine the flower of a butterwort by peering down its "throat," you will notice a small, apronlike pad on the ceiling. This is the sticky female stigma. Hidden immediately behind this, and completely out of view, are the pollen anthers, To pollinate, use a toothpick or tiny paintbrush. Insert this past the stigma, and with a gentle, upward swipe, withdraw. If you examine the pollinating object, you will usually notice a small amount of pollen grains on it. Carefully reinsert, dabbing the pollen onto the front-facing apron or skirt of the stigma."

I noticed your signature. Reminds me of "Why do people park in driveways but drive in parkways?".
I found the answer to the second part of that question:
Bill Bryson in A Walk in the Woods explains it's because the first US highways were envisioned to be like hiking through a park, except driving. So, the first highways were beautiful and picturesque. Then, our government decided, for practical reasons, to make highways ugly. Wouldn't you be willing to pay extra taxes to beautify highways with at least wildflower plantings on the roadside? Anyway, the 'park' in parkway refers not to parking a car but to a nature park.
Chris

Thanks for the info Chris...I will try that. I know that you need to do that with some flowers but I'm never sure which ones. I guess I missed my opportunity with the Ionantha. Something new to try!

Thats pretty interesting about the "parkway". Here in Virginia, in the medians of some interstates, they plant cosmos and poppies. Its just a carpet of color in the summer...gorgeous! NOW...tell me why the plural of moose isn't meese??? :)

Suzanne

Because the English language is crazy. Why do we have a pair of panties but only one bra?! lol

that was insightful, havron :shocked:

Suzanne, good to hear they do plant wildflowers where you live

I'm a guy, and havron... I must say this....

tee hee... thats so funny!!!!!!!

Anyways. I want a butterwort now. Where can i get butterwort seeds???

Its moose. Just like p. of deer is deer...
Another? Plural of ox is oxen, so why dont we say boxen?

(Edited by Parasuco at 4:38 pm on Mar. 11, 2002)

Gotta love that Gallagher! :biggrin:

Parasuco, if you (and I) are lucky, I might be able to hook you up with some small <i>Pinguicula laueana</i> in the future, if my cuttings root... :cheesy:

Hey, that would be awsum, wut would you want in return?

I dunno, depends on what you've got by then.
smile.gif
It'll probably be awhile before I have any available for trade, but maybe later this year?

*sigh*
Havent got anything you cant get for a couple of bucks...
This is my current grow list:

Dionaea muscipula (2)
Sarracenia purpurea (1)
Nepenthes x gubler (1)
Drosera rotundifolia (1)

I have one leaf cutting of each species. They are all fairly new, so there is no Nep cuttings, its too short (other than a single leaf which i dotn think will grow according to ppl in the Nep forum)... I'm getting a bunch of seeds soon... Here THEY are...

Sarracenia flava
Dionaea muscipula
Pinguicula vulgaris
Drosera capensis

Do any of those interest you? By the way... If we do trade (or if i end up just paying dough), the smaller the plant the better. I love baby plants...

We'll see, like I said, it should be at least a couple months. I'll get back to you when they're ready, and we can work something out then, ok?
smile.gif

alright kewl...

we'll see if i have anything worth anything, u know? alright.

Back