What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Butterworts...

Well, I'm doing a trade with someone, and I'm gettnig two pings...

P. Morenensis "Caudata", and;
P. x mola

And thanks to another gracious soul whos initials are DE (;)), is sending me a P. moranensis... He sais it looks like a variation "G"

Not geing really familiar with bings, all i know is that one of them is a hybrid, and the other two are mexican pings that have succulent leaves you can strike cuttings from... Anyone wanna lend me a hand? What is P. x mola's parentage?

Thanks, pics would be appreciated, but dont stress about that...

P x 'Mola' is moranensis x gypsicola. This one needs to be kept bone dry during dormancy. Moranensis you can pretty much grow wet all year.

Media for all should be grown in a loose open not too acidic media, I am using 2:1:1:1 perlite:vermiculite:charcoal:LF sphag with good results, you could add a part of peat if you want and I have also heard of some people adding a little regular potting soil but I have never tried this.

I use the tray system but top water every once in a while just to ensure some flow through. They seem to like half to full sun and really benefit from high humidity. In my experience they do not form great roots and will occasionally pop themselves out of the media, this usually isn't a problem as long as they remain healthy looking.

Pyro

Hey Pyro...

That thing about them popping out of the soil....is that a moranensis thing? The other day I was trying to remove a dead leaf on mine and I barely pulled on it and the whole plant popped out of the soil! Freaked me out...I thought for sure I'd killed it but I pressed it back in and it hasn't seen any worse for wear. It looked like it barely had any root system at all which worried me.

Maybe that is not so unusual??

Suzanne

Suzanne,

I think it is just a Mexi-Ping thing. most of my moranensis as well as some of my ehlersai, cyclosecta, x 'George Sargent' and laueana are all doing it as well and none of them are having any problems. I think as long as they get good humidity they really don't care.

Pyro

Back