What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower pics - just for fun

Hello friends,
I thought I'd share some pictures with you all. One is of my moranensis 'Kirkbright' flower and the other of two different varieties of P. lutea. The lutea were purchased from two different sources. I don't know their origin data. Anyone ever heard of different varieties of lutea? Any names?
EdRead-moranensis'Kirkbright'1001.jpg
EdRead-Plutea-twotypes001.jpg

I feel there needs to be some taxonomy work done on Pinguicula in the S.E. states.
Have fun,
Ed Read
To view my growlist:
http://www.geocities.com/tissueculture/index.html

Nice photos Ed  
smile.gif

I particularly like the P. lutea on the left with the highly divided lobes.

Are you sure that the plant you show as P. moranensis 'Kirkbright' is that form? Although I don't grow this one yet, all the pictures I have seen of it, including those taken by David Kirkbright himself, ( see Eric's 'Kirkbright page http://perso.club-internet.fr/epbb....ght.htm), show much thinner lobes on the flower. Your picture seems reminiscent of the true form of P. 'Weser' as shown in Slack's second book. Joseph Clemens posted this link to the picture in a thread about 'Weser' vs 'Sethos' I.D.a couple of months ago, Weser vs Sethos. To my eye, it looks very similar to your plant.

Cheers

Vic

I also have a ping labeled as P.moranensis Kirkbright. The winter rosette is very compact. Hopefully, I can get it to flower this year.

Both are Pinguicula moranensis Kirkbright !

In fact, I grow the original clone from David Kirkbright and he provide me pictrues in wild. But, when I gave some cuttings to J.J. LABAT, he finally get the "big" flower and the "thin" flower from the same clone !

Incredible isn't it ?

I think that the flower could chage according to the growing conditions, the seasons or anything else.

Here is why I love the Pinguicula familly : it turn you mad !

Yes! Pinguicula variation is great.
I read literature (I should really site it here for clarification) that states mexican pinguicula are unlike other plants in that they make different size flowers depending on the state of the plant and there is no fixed size per species (I think is was Caspers article on the orchid flowered butterworts). Example: I propagated my P. 'Pachuca' from leaf cuttings. The small plants produced small flowers!
When my 'Kirkbright' first flowered I ran to my computer and looked at Eric's website. Since I got the plant from him I could see if my eyes were deceiving me; I also expected petals not as wide as it had.
There is definitely a lot of fun to be had with taxonomy.
Ed Read

Thanks for clearing that up for me Eric, they do look so different, I thought there might have been a label mix-up mid-Atlantic !
biggrin.gif

The ability to post photographs of our plants and discuss them with fellow growers from all around the world is perhaps the strongest feature of Forum boards and it is good to see more acknowledged experts now joining in.

Pinguicula truly are amazing plants, long may they continue to both please and puzzle us.

Vic

I like to say that
"More I feel skilled in Pinguicula, more I get lost",
that give in french "Plus j'en apprend sur les Pinguicula, moins je m'y retrouve".

Eric,

I must say that is about the best description of Pings I have ever heard
smile.gif

Back