What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moranensis splitting

I raised this when it last flowered but my moranensis has flowered again. After the first occaision when it produced two growing 'heads' one half has flowered and produced four 'heads' and the other half is about to flower and has already two ' heads'.

How often can I expect this to happen?
Is it healthy to allow all to grow?
I'm not sure the plany looks right with a great crest of leaves where the heads meet as my plant is no longer flat.
Can these individual heads be seperated from the plants at any stage and potted off?

It is now about 5" across.

Not sure what you mean by "heads". Does not compute! Please explain. But you left things open for lots of stupid puns, like "four 'heads' are better than two", and "let's not go decapitating any plants until we have an understanding"!
Chris

The 'heads' or growing points can be allowed to grow as long as the plants don't look crowded i.e. the smaller plants are not receiving enough light.
They can be seperated when they look like distinctive individuals. Moranensis 'G' or other frequent clump forming moranensis often clump when mature(flowering).

Sorry DE tried to make it as plain as I could having found no reference in Savage Garden or C.P.'s by A Slack about this issue.

My maranensis started life a few months ago as a nice little plant with one growing point (like all the pics you see). It flowered and split into two which have grown next to each other but where the leaves meet they have formed a ridge along the centre of the plant leaving it looking somewhat like a plated dinosaur!. One of these two points has just flowered and now split into four and the other side has a flower stape coming and has already split in two. I therefore now have two points on one side and four on the other!

Hope this makes it a little plainer.

CP2k - How do I know when they look like individual plants? Do I have to disturb it and inspect its root system?

NN

Individual plants produce their own leaves. They should already have grown roots after they split.

Back