What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now i'm confused

Do I take it that Pings like it basic? I'm carefully watering all my CPs with RO water because our water is somewhat basic because of calsium.

If so, and if my Pings are already planted in peat, should I start watering with tap water that I've set out for a day to get rid of the chlorine?

Thanks.

This is not easy to believe but true.

Temperate :
Many Pinguicula grow on calcareous in wild. Some that are known to grow only on acidic can also grow on calcareous media. My biggest Pinguicula lusitanica was noted on calcareous. In this way, I follow Jurg Steiger that wrote the following remark : some Pinguicula grow on acidic soil because no other soil is available around. He gives the exemple for P. corsica. It is amazing to note that P. corsica grow well also on calcareous media.

Mexican :
Many grow on gypsum that also have Calcium in his chemical component.

I use rain water to watering my plants as in France, drinkink water is full of Chlorine but if I have no stock of rain water available, I use tap water without problem.

I think that you should no mix Calcium and peat as this can produce in less than a year a mud (bacteria decomposing the organic material with the help of Calcium) like you do with your garden comopost using lime to activate and producing natural fertilizer.

Have a look in the web-site A world of Pinguicula, it can answer some of your questions.

Eric Partrat

I hope to be clear as english is not my mother tongue.

Merci

Well, I don't want to repot everything, so I will start watering with tap water, which will slowly lower the pH of my media.

Do you agree with this?

Thank you.

Usually you will want to repot your plants in a year or so, just wait till then.

I will agree with Eric on greater size being obtained in a more basic media. I had a moranensis for 2 years that stayed at 1 inch in diameter, last year I switched to a complex Ping media with no peat and that moranensis is 5" across now.

Thanks, all

hmm.. interesting post. i grom my P. moranensis in classic cp mix. 50/50 peat/sand and water with distilled water. and it is 5 inches across. never had any problems with it. here is a pic. i just moved it closer to the lights and it started getting there colors. i don't like it as much as when it was green.
tounge.gif

P.moranensis.jpg

later,

The interesting thing is that some of the largest pings I have seen at California Carnivores were grown on a medium composed of peat, sand, perlite and vermiculite. The giganteas were a foot a foot across, and most of the moranensis and agnatas were 10in or so. I have heard that a gigantea(14in diameter) was cultivated by Phil Faulisi on a peat:perlite 1:1 medium.
The best thing about the inorganic mix is that it facilitates strong root development in pings.

Back