What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.d. help sought - sorting names out

Hello Friends,
I have a pinguicula who's identification is not certain. I originally had it labelled P.sp. 'Guerrero 3000m' but knowing there were plants going around with the label 'Guatamala 3100m' (something like that), I am doubtful. I may have been given a wrong label (not on purpose). Anyone else have a ping labelled 'Guerrero'? Does it look like this? Notice the bottom of the flower scapes and how they are not held in the center of the rosette but from the side of the meristem.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Gracias,
Ed Read
EdRead-'Guerrero'1001.jpg
EdRead-'Guerrero'2001.jpg

Hi Ed,

Check Oliver Gluch's Pinguicula website: Photo Page

The flower of P.sp.Guatemala 3100m is shown in the picture show and also on the left side of the upper frame.

Hi Ed.,

Don't be scared, I have also a plant labelled from Guerrero !

The Pinguicula from Guerrero is for me Pinguicula moranensis var. neovolcanica.

Guerrero is a Mexican state so, your addition is a good information : 3000 m. From Mexican Mountains as usual.

It is resting in winter as a buried compact onion like rosetted. I have not seen the flower yet.

Cheers

Hmmm, one wonders if the Yucca DO 1718 isn't the same.  I remember Patrice said that he considered 1718 to be Pinguicula moranensis var. neovolcanica, and the flowers are quite similar as is the resting habit.  I have little experience with either of these plants to compare them, but they do seem similar to me when all the characteristics are taken into consideration.

http://206.103.248.175/tamlin_post/Pinguicula_007.jpg

I have been cautioned against placing too much reliance on the flower for determination, but I am beginning to see some relationships.

What do you think Pyro, are these plants related?

Dr Zamudio gave the name Pinguicula moranensis var. neovolcanica to many hundreds locations of plants with little difference betwen themselves. He may think that it was the variation in this species. So it is easy that according to this publictaion, if a species is not clearly identified, growing in the Mexican central eije vocanica moutains, resting in a onion like bulb, it is Pinguicula moranensis var. neovolcanica...

SO for me there are Pinguicula moranensis var. neovolcanica from Guerrero, Pinguicula moranensis var. neovolcanica from El Chico and so on...

The problem is that nobody grow the true Pinguicula moranensis var. moranensis (only one location) he described according to the "Moran" Location.

Thanks everyone for you help. Yes, this plant does have a tight round dormant stage and also lies under the surface invisible as does acuminata and macrophylla. I think the 3100m information is incorrect and a mixup with the Guatamala plant.
Thanks all for your help!
Ed Read
FYI, I am currently planning a trip to Patzcuaro. Anyone been there?

Back