What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burnt butterworts?

smile.gif
In an attempt to feed my BW I used some waxworms that I usually feed my lizards. First i tried just putting them on the leaves but because the plants not having enough "glue" the worms would just crawl off. So next i sliced the worms open and spread their guts on the leaves. YUM! In a few days what looked like burns appeared on the leaves and a few days later they became very sickly looking. Can this be because the worm guts were to rich for them? or what? can anybody explain?
smile.gif

The plant might not have been able to break down all the wax worm guts. A little bit of food might be good for the plant, but overfeeding it can have detrimental effects. Occasionally, I give my pings freeze-dried bloodworms rehydrated in low-fat milk, but I only feed the larger plants tiny pieces, otherwise the leaves will have "burns".

I think it might have to do with the fat content of wax works. CPs don't tend to do well with fatty material, it seems to promote fungal growth.

Keep in mind that pings typically catch tiny gnats and flies. I think you OD'd it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ Nov. 15 2002,01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it might have to do with the fat content of wax works. CPs don't tend to do well with fatty material, it seems to promote fungal growth.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I agree 100%
Any high fat insect will rot a VFT trap and as far as I know, the only CPs who don't seem to care about fat are Neps and pitchers.

Back