What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'Weser' vs 'Sethos'

Please let me know if my logic is correct, I'm defering to the experts.

A plant can only be called by a cultivar name if it is vegatatively propagated from the named parent cultivar.

Therefore any plants of unkown parentage should be call P. moranensis x ehlersiae regardless of what the flower looks like.

Sorry about adding this post so late. I hope I generate some responses.

Glenn

No it isn't as simple as that Glenn.

According to the rules on the use of cultivar names; providing a plant looks the same, or at least fit's the original description, it can be called by a cultivar name even if it is genetically distinct from the original. I don't know of any CPs where this has occured though.

Plants should only be called P. moranensis x ehlersiae, if you are 100% sure that those are the actual parents. With the current P. 'Weser' debate, I'm not sure that you can say that.

Vic

Thanks Vic.

My plant is from PinguiculaMan but hasn't flowered yet. I just want to make sure I label it correctly! I guess I will wait till it flowers and check the flower vs the descriptions of 'Sethos and 'Weser'. Until then I will call it P. moranensis x ehlersiae.

Thanks for the clarification.
smile.gif

Vic wrote
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to the rules on the use of cultivar names; providing a plant looks the same, or at least fit's the original description, it can be called by a cultivar name even if it is genetically distinct from the original.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with Vic. It depends on the details of the description of the cultivar.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know of any CPs where this has occured though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

One example is Dionaea 'Dentate Traps' {B.Meyers-Rice}. Barry's description of the cultivar was purposefully made sufficiently broad to include any VFT that has dentate teeth. He then described Dionaea 'Sawtooth' {B.Meyers-Rice} as similar to 'Dentate Traps' but with the dentate teeth "frequently minutely divided into two or more tiny teethlets". The point being that virtually any VFT with dentate or serrated teeth would fall within the two descriptions, irrespective of parentage. It then becomes incumbent to describe differences in order to establish a new cultivar name.

With respect to the 'Weser' and 'Sethos' discussion, many of the plants being grown as 'Weser' clearly have flowers that do not meet the 'Weser' description, but look more like the 'Sethos' description.

Very well said BobZ, that is it in a nutshell.

Back